FORUMS: list search recent posts

dual channel ram

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lemohemstey
dual channel ram
on Aug 17, 2004 at 5:28:53 pm

hello,

I have a question concerning ram on an intel 875pbz motherboard. If I want to add more ram to my system (currently 2 512 sticks) by adding 2 more sticks in the open slots, will they be utilized in dual channel as well? In the DIY build challenge article on the Videoguys main page it mentions that they had to put the memory in the first slot in each bank to get dual channel. Just curious what happens if you use all four slots. I'd rather not buy 2 gig sticks to get dual channel if possible (Don't want to have to take out that second mortgage to afford it). Thanks

Return to posts index

lemohemstey
Re: dual channel ram
on Aug 19, 2004 at 3:36:57 pm

Anyone? Anyone?

Return to posts index

lemohemstey
on Aug 19, 2004 at 3:39:21 pm

Anyone? Anyone?

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 20, 2004 at 5:42:15 am

Good Question.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 20, 2004 at 8:42:02 pm

As long as you install them in pairs, you'll get full advantage of the dual channels.

What you don't want is to put 2 dimms in the slots next to eachother.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

lemohemstey
on Aug 20, 2004 at 10:10:00 pm

Thanks. That's good news that I can use four dimms. I really was dreading the cost of 2 x 1 gig sticks. That would be close to what it cost to build my system.

Return to posts index

dailyrushes
on Feb 21, 2005 at 6:59:56 am

One question...do you get in task manager that you have dual processors now that you have dual channel running? I don't understand how this could be except that the operating system sees the dual channel operation as dual processors. When I put in my second 512 megs of ram, the system really perked up, as if it did have two processors!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]