FORUMS: list search recent posts

Starting from scratch-need best way VHS to DVD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim
Starting from scratch-need best way VHS to DVD
by
on Aug 4, 2004 at 3:13:24 am

I am wanting to know the best way that I can convert some of my old analog video to DVD since I'm wanting to make a DVD including family members who have died. I have a Dell Dimension 4500 2.26GHz, Pentium 4, 256 MB ram, 40 Gig hard drive. Upgrading computer is out of question at this time. I'm wondering if the bundle from videoguys including Pinacle Studio 9 & Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD burner will work for me? Or will MovieBox be better? I do not have a capture card, firewire, or video editing software besides Window Movie Maker so I'm starting from scratch. I can't spend a lot at this time but want simple capabilities of editing home movies, putting to DVD and adding music backgrounds and titles. Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

obioneballi
Re: Starting from scratch-need best way VHS to DVD
on Sep 8, 2004 at 2:37:33 pm

Hi Kim

You have a couple of choices - Pinnacle Studio does offer a "break-out box" for somewhere around $199(?) which will allow you to capture ANY analog source into your PC for editing... The quality is so-so, and I've found with any clips larger than 60 minutes in length you run into audio/video sync issues...

Your other choice would be an inexpensive transfer service that will transfer your video to an external hard drive for you in AVI format - save you the work and bother, and get professional results for your videos. It's a bit more expensive than the Pinnacle (or similar) solution, but probably better results.

Andy

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Sep 8, 2004 at 4:19:31 pm

Stand alone DVD recorder. No rendering fuss, just smooth copies...

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Sep 8, 2004 at 5:04:39 pm

See I'm not sold on those... Sure there's not a lot of fuss but you also don't get the control of being able to edit your movies... at least not without some quality loss from the original. :)

Andy

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Sep 10, 2004 at 11:52:19 pm

Actually,

I was the proponent of getting a MATROX card that would allow direct recording to DVD without the need to transcode. But that is a pricey option.

I don't need a lot of fancy menus, just want a DVD that can be played.

So a few of us got together and talked about it.

Here is what we came up with.

Shoot video, edit on computer, put video back out to camera. Take that completed video and feed it to the DVD recorder. NO FUSS, and it is fast. No transcode time required. Solves the problem, and we have a DVD recorder at the office that we can borrow and use to make these videos.

Works great and that's why I recommended it as an option. The standalones are coming down in price...

Just my $.02...

Dylan

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Sep 11, 2004 at 11:45:32 am

You should at least understand that there are similar options available for use on PC's.

There are a number of Mpeg encoders that use the same Mpeg chipset available in some set top digital recorders and DVD recorders. V-One's Snazzi III and the Adaptec Video Oh! DVD use the same chipset that is in the TIVO II. ADS Tech's Instant DVD 2.0 and DVDXpress use the Cyrus Logic chipset that is in some set top DVD recorders. I do not own a set top recorder and am far from an expert on video quality. All I can say is that, when I record from TV using my Snazzi III, I like the results.

Also, as long as I limit my editing to just trimming the raw video, I get the same quality on DVD's. Transitions between clips, title's and other overlays (all of which require that part of the video to be re-encoded) frequently cause there to be imperfections at the point where the re-encoded video ends and the un-re-encoded video resumes.

My $.02 is that for some one who already has a PC with a DVD burner and is looking for a quick and easy way to get their analog tapes transferred to DVD, these hardware Mpeg encoders are a good option.

Of course, no one I know would recommend them for advanced editing.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Sep 11, 2004 at 5:49:12 pm

I own both a Matrox RT.X100 NLE system and a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD recorder. My primary use of the recorder is as a Tivo to watch programs at my convenience, but I do use it for digitizing VHS tapes.

I also have a library of VHS tapes going back to 1978. Most of them are movies recorded off cable tv and not worth keeping, as I'd rather watch a widescreen DVD of the same movie now in my home theater, but some of them are unique, like live broadcasts of programs not available anywhere. I also have a few family videos on VHS. I'm using my DVD recorder to digitize them to its hard drive. Then I edit out the commercials and burn it to DVD. I can't do fancy effects or even add titles, but I can cut them into programs to add to menus and archive them before any more deterioration sets in.

VHS tapes were only supposed to last 10 years, and I can testify that the manufacturers were right. My tapes older than 10 years have dropouts. If you have video on VHS that you want to keep, then you need to copy them to DVD now. If they're really important, make more than one copy.

The Matrox RT.X100 can do all this as well. I do use it on my tapes that are seriously degraded, as it can lock onto poor signals better than the Panasonic. On good tapes, I can't tell the difference in video quality between the two. The Panasonic has the edge in convenience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]