FORUMS: list search recent posts

Asus DIY vs. Dell XPS Gen 3

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
morphing
Asus DIY vs. Dell XPS Gen 3
on Jul 19, 2004 at 10:18:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm am re-entering the world of DVE and I have to decide on a system first and foremost. I am looking to purchase a system to reaquaint myself with the newest software from Avid, Adobe, etc... Once I thoroughly understand the software and have completed some decent work, I may put my services in the marketplace. That in mind, I intend on buying a computer that can be used to train on and be a solid startup workhorse for a small production shop. I have used some of the early DVE's and chugged along on some of the slowest hardware imaginable (I'm talking 10+ years ago), so I'd like to have a system that can exceed the demands put forth by the newest DVE software.
I can purchase a system very close to the one described in your article with the following specs... for around $900.
Asus P4C88-E Deluxe
Intel P4 3.2Ghz
NVidia GeForce FX5700 256MB (I know it's only a single port)
Corsiar PC3200 DDR - 1GB
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Western Digital 160GB IDE 7200RPM
DVD-RW
Case w/PS

If I choose the Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3 box with the same general specifications I end up in the $1600 neighborhood even with a 12% discount and some free upgrades.
So I guess my question is: Will the Asus system perform at the same level or higher than the Dell system. I work in IT and have found that Dell systems seem to have a good solid architecture that would tend to outperform most home built systems, however, I've never built a system with a top notch board like the recommended Asus.

I don't want to go on the cheap if I intend to use this in the future for actual paying projects if the hardware is holding me back, but almost double the price will make you stop and think. In either case, I'd still need upgrades like a storage drive and a capture card but they are fundamentally what I think I need to get started.

I'd appreciate any input you can give me. I'll be making a purchase in the next week or so.
Thanks, morphing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]