FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bios Flash Catch 22

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
salvationdave
Bios Flash Catch 22
on Jul 19, 2004 at 2:39:23 am

Hey there,

I've got an Asus P4S800D-E Motherboard that has bios ver. 1002 printed on the chip. My processor is a P4 2.4A 1MB L2 533FSB. The Asus website says my processor isn't supported until bios ver. 1003. I am getting a post error thats says (in an authoritative female voice) "System boot failed due to CPU overclocking". I've tried clearing the CMOS and that is no help. I don't know if it's really that the cpu is just not supported yet and I'll never get in or if the CPU is deffective and screwing up my boot. The machine came up a couple times when I first got it all together but now its the same thing over and over.

help!

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Bios Flash Catch 22
by
on Jul 20, 2004 at 12:01:31 am

Have you tried flashing the 1003 BIOS?

Return to posts index

salvationdave
on Jul 20, 2004 at 3:26:27 pm

I should have said also that it never boots and never gets video. It fails at the cpu test and won't go further. Therefor I can't flash the bios creating my catch 22.

Return to posts index

salvationdave
on Jul 20, 2004 at 7:11:59 pm

**UPDATE**

I called Asus Tech Support and he confirmed that the board will fail with that processor in it with that bios. The solution is to get out my jeweler's screwdrivers and pry out my bios chip and mail it to them with a check for 5 bucks. They will flash my chip and mail it back.

-Dave

Return to posts index

salvationdave
on Aug 12, 2004 at 4:36:37 pm

**UPDATE**

I got my bios chip back and popped it in and all is well. I'm finally on the road to having this machine really work! I'm dissapointed that ASUS didn't have anything on their website that would say "If you are getting xyz error with the P4 2.40A 533FSB processor its becuase your bios is out of date!"

I'm really looking forward to putting this machine into service! I started this journey back in April when I bought a cheap computer case and thought it would be fun to build a machine myself.

Blessings!

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]