FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will this work?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellspie
Will this work?
on Jul 15, 2004 at 5:10:16 am

Built my own system on the cheap.Plan on using it for transfering vhs tapes to dvd.Here goes:AMD athlon xp 2600 cpu,gigabyte ga-7N400L m/board,512megs 3200 400mghz memory,120gig hd,4x dual dvd burner,nvidia xfx 5200 128meg video card,win xp home and a big case with four 80mm fans for cooling.I'm thinking about getting ADS dvd express,will this work?Cool

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Will this work?
on Jul 15, 2004 at 1:08:55 pm

There aren't a lot of posts on the Ulead forum concerning DVD Express/Instand DVD 2.0, which is a good thing, since most people go on forums only when they are having problems.

The one complaint that you do see a lot of is that, when people upgrade their Ulead software or switch to a different brand of editing program, they cannot use the program to capture video. This is because the DVD Express/Instant DVD 2.0 capture device is not a standard Windows WDM device, so only software that has device drivers specially written for it can be used to capture from it. ADS Tech does provide a capture utility called "Capture Wizard", that can capture video which can be imported into your editing program/DVD authoring software.

For your stated purpose (digitizing analog video and creating DVD's), it should work just fine. However, if you want to get more creative (adding extended filters or overlays, for example), an analog-to-DV converter would be a better choice. You can trim unwanted sections from Mpeg-2 video with no loss of quality in Video Studio. You can add overlays and transitions with only the edited parts of the clips being re-encoded. I can't say how much it will affect editing Mpeg 2 from DVD Express, but, when I add overlays and transitions to Mpeg-2 from my Snazzi III USB 2.0 encoder, the new video sometimes becomes jerky for a few frames at the point where the edited video ends and the unedited video resumes.

I don't know about the motherboard, but having a dedicated video drive and more RAM would be good upgrades.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]