FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best HDD Set-up

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nauticalman
Best HDD Set-up
on Jul 6, 2004 at 7:47:48 pm

I am in the planning process of configuring by digital video editing system.

My question is: considering budget/best value, how many HDD’s are needed.

I assume you could do it with just 1 HDD, the cheapest way, but I think this would impose too large of a time penalty to the editing process.

With 2 HDD’s, more expensive, I think you could put your system software on one HDD, place your raw footage on a second HDD and then edit the final cut to the first HDD (or vice versa?).

With 3 HDD’s, the most expensive, I think you could put system software on one HDD, place your raw footage on a second HDD and then edit the final cut to the third HDD.

Is having three HDD’s the best way??? Is spending the money for a third HDD worth it????

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Best HDD Set-up
by
on Jul 8, 2004 at 2:36:19 pm

What software are you using and what is your intended output? I have tried all three ways that you mention. One HDD was too slow and caused my program ULead MSP 6.5 to drop frames on output.

2 HDDs solved all those problems.

3 HDDS or at least 2 HDDS for the output process (1 to read from another to write to) was the recommended solution from Canopus that someone posted elsewhere on this forum. I have more than 3 HDDS, but I found that for MSP 6.5 and MSP 7.0 this is not a requirement and my system runs fine with just one dedicated video drive. (My video drive is actually two 160 GB on a RAID 0 setup).

Return to posts index

nauticalman
on Jul 8, 2004 at 6:00:08 pm

Thanks for your response D_.

To answer your question, I plan on being what might be considered at the "serious hobby" level. I have done camera work and editing before (3/4" & 1/2" years ago) but not on a digital video editing system - the final format would be DVD.

I plan on starting out with Windows XP Pro which I think comes with basic video editing software and then deciding on more advanced software in the next 6 months. My planned system is a P4 2.8C (upgrade to a Prescott later), Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, 2 Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160 GB SATA HDD's, 1 GB RAM. Any suggestions on editing software for a "serious hobbists" with a budget ($350 +/- $100) would be appreciated.

From your response then, I assume I should be ok with only 2 HDDs: 1 for system and video clips and a second assembling the clips into a final version???

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 9, 2004 at 10:04:52 am

I usually output directly to DV tape--and so one dedicated systems/software drive +1 dedicated video drive works great. If you are going to create DVDs I recommend that 3rd drive for MPEG rendering output, but you should be able to get by with two. (Even better would be to get a hardware solution which would eliminate the need to render).

I cannot in good faith recommend one video editing software product over any other. I have downloaded tons of free and trial versions, but have not given each the thorough run through that would be required to help you make a good choice.

With that in mind, here is how I arrived at a purchase decision.

I have enjoyed Pinnacle's layout, but had trouble installing it on some systems (I have 4 machines here, only one liked the Pinnacle). Avid Free was not stable on my WinXP system (had to uninstall one of the Win XP updates to get it to run at all, and even then I had minor problems). Adobe's two products ran great, but I did not have time to give them a good shakedown. MSP 7.0 works great and got great reviews and I figured out how to make it work. I like the menus although it is not a perfect system. I now know my around well enough to do nearly everything I want to.

If you plan on being a serious user, then don't settle for half-baked software. Check out Digital Video Maker magazine http://www.videomaker.com and other forums. Canopus has an extremely loyal following and a great codec, but I have not personally sampled their offerings.

Go for the best you can afford and then learn how to use it well.

D

Return to posts index

nauticalman
on Jul 9, 2004 at 1:25:38 pm

Thanks again for the good info D. After reading it I realized I should gather some more information.

I'm trying to get up to speed on the different options for configuring a digital video editing computer and would like to know the different methods for assembling video clips into a final product (output to tape, burn to DVD). Can you recommend any "how to" articles or websites with that kind of info??

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 10, 2004 at 12:24:42 pm

You leave your question wide open. Sign up for videomaker magazine. All of their back issues are available via the internet. I have found their articles to be more relevant than Googling the Internet. Get the magazine. Videomaker (Electronic Mailbox advertises regularly in this great mag...)

D

Return to posts index

mpmerch
on Jul 21, 2004 at 8:55:40 am

Nice chat guys, you're a big help. I'm planning to set-up one system myself. I'm not into this hardware things but its fun reading your posts. thanks again.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 21, 2004 at 10:23:44 am

Pick your components and software carefully and you will really enjoy video editing.

Just like the carpenter--Measure twice. Cut once.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]