FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY from directPC & Videoguys

COW Forums : Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DIY from directPC & Videoguys
on Jul 5, 2004 at 2:39:02 am

I'm building my first NLE system. Initially I'll be transfering old home movies from VHS to DVD, adding a sound track, and some light editing and titling. I'm looking for good quality on a budget with some head room for more advanced work. The budgets tight but if a few extra dollars could save time in learning or editing I'd opt up.

Following Jon's DIY article and using the web site at I've been able to spec the following for US $1175.52 on 7/4/04. The highlights are:

Motherboard : Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (includes Firewire)
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz 1MB Cache 800MHz FSB with Hyper-Threading Technology
Memory : (1 GB Total) 2x512MB DDR 400 Mhz PC3200
Hard Drive Serial ATA interface : 80 GB - 7200 Rpm (Serial ATA)
Hard Drive Serial ATA interface : 120 GB - 7200 Rpm (Serial ATA)
Serial ATA Controler : Integrated Two-port Serial ATA controller
Optical Drive : 16x DVD-ROM
Video Card : Geforce4 Mx440 64 MB, AGP 8x, Tv-Out
Sound Card : Integrated 6-channel CODEC b
USB ports : 6 USB ports (2 Front and 4 Back)
Power Supply : 400Watt Atx Power Supply
Case : 17 Inch Raidmax 868 Scorpio Silver
Operating Systems (OS) : Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition

Grahpics card: The choices included a whole range of Geforce and ATI Radeon but I figured my initial use could do with the Mx440. Aside from dual heading what are the advantages applicable to my application of higher end graphics?

OS: I know Jon went with XP Pro but it added $54 over Home and I couldn't find a rationale. ?

For the NLE components I'm looking at Videoguy's offering of Pioner A07 DVD and the Canopus ADVC300 and figure I'll have about $300 left for software, which I have not settled but the choice of the ADVC300 would seem to suggest Canopus software. ?

Any comments about http://www.directpc, the system price, the compatibilities of my choices, the choice of XP Home, or recommendations on software would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved