FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY from directPC & Videoguys

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
markl
DIY from directPC & Videoguys
on Jul 5, 2004 at 2:39:02 am

I'm building my first NLE system. Initially I'll be transfering old home movies from VHS to DVD, adding a sound track, and some light editing and titling. I'm looking for good quality on a budget with some head room for more advanced work. The budgets tight but if a few extra dollars could save time in learning or editing I'd opt up.

Following Jon's DIY article and using the web site at http://www.directpc.ca I've been able to spec the following for US $1175.52 on 7/4/04. The highlights are:

Motherboard : Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (includes Firewire)
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz 1MB Cache 800MHz FSB with Hyper-Threading Technology
Memory : (1 GB Total) 2x512MB DDR 400 Mhz PC3200
Hard Drive Serial ATA interface : 80 GB - 7200 Rpm (Serial ATA)
Hard Drive Serial ATA interface : 120 GB - 7200 Rpm (Serial ATA)
Serial ATA Controler : Integrated Two-port Serial ATA controller
Optical Drive : 16x DVD-ROM
Video Card : Geforce4 Mx440 64 MB, AGP 8x, Tv-Out
Sound Card : Integrated 6-channel CODEC b
USB ports : 6 USB ports (2 Front and 4 Back)
Power Supply : 400Watt Atx Power Supply
Case : 17 Inch Raidmax 868 Scorpio Silver
Operating Systems (OS) : Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition

Grahpics card: The choices included a whole range of Geforce and ATI Radeon but I figured my initial use could do with the Mx440. Aside from dual heading what are the advantages applicable to my application of higher end graphics?

OS: I know Jon went with XP Pro but it added $54 over Home and I couldn't find a rationale. ?

For the NLE components I'm looking at Videoguy's offering of Pioner A07 DVD and the Canopus ADVC300 and figure I'll have about $300 left for software, which I have not settled but the choice of the ADVC300 would seem to suggest Canopus software. ?

Any comments about http://www.directpc, the system price, the compatibilities of my choices, the choice of XP Home, or recommendations on software would be appreciated.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]