FORUMS: list search recent posts

how many watts for power supply unit?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chuk
how many watts for power supply unit?
by
on Jun 2, 2004 at 1:54:10 am

I have been trying to piece together a system similar to the one here in the forum which consists of the following:

P4 3.0GHz
ASUS P4C800 E Deluxe
1 GB Kingston RAM
etc..

Without really thinking about it I ordered the 400 watt power supply as suggested. However, after putting this together the motherboard will not boot at all. Could this be b/c the power supply isn't sufficient or should it still boot? All I get is the green mobo light and nothing else...it just sits. I took it out of the case thinking it was shorted somewhere and hooked up only the 20-pin, 4-pin, and fan control 3 pin connector and it still doesn't start when switched on.

I have seen a number of posts on the internet suggesting anything from 430 Watts to 550 watts for a P4 3.0 GHz, anyone know what is best power supply for this setup?

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: how many watts for power supply unit?
on Jun 2, 2004 at 1:53:38 pm

i only put in a 350w power supply and it was fine. i'm thinking one of your connections aren't right or not connected at all.

- Jon

http://www.videoguys.com
800-323-2325 x120

Return to posts index

chuk
by
on Jun 2, 2004 at 2:50:34 pm

well it's an Antec ATX12V 400W PSU with 5 main connections coming out of it:

1) Main power 20-pin connector (connected to mobo)
2) AUX power 6-pin connector (not connected b/c there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put it)
3) +12V power 4-pin connector (connected to mobo)
4) Peripheral connectors (not connected)
5) Floppy drive power connectors (not connected)

with this all setup shouldn't the CPU fan at least come on when switched on?(it is also plugged into the mobo) Right now it's sitting outside the case on a piece of cardboard to rule out any shorts resulting from the case or mounting screws.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Jun 3, 2004 at 2:09:55 pm

did you connect the connector labeled 'CPU FAN' on the mobo?

800-323-2325 x120

Return to posts index

chuk
by
on Jun 3, 2004 at 9:50:58 pm

yeah, actally went and bought a new power supply and tried it...never could get the motherboard to post at all. tried the case speaker and headphones plugged into the built-in line out jack but no response via either in the way of beeps or voices.

I think it's a dead board, tried it with everything pulled out (including the processor) and it sitting on a piece of cardboard. With the power supply plugged into the mobo still got no error messages or beeps or anything.

Do the case speaker plug/case wires go on the mobo with labels facing up or down?...the manual says facing towards the front of the case but that is not an option with the orientation of the motherboard and the Antec manual doesn't specify which colors are ground, (+), etc...so I couldn't determine which is what. Just want to make sure I try everything before I have to deal with returning it to ASUS.

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Jun 4, 2004 at 2:23:14 pm

i only built 1 machine and that was the DIY machine (http://www.videoguys.com/DIY.html) so i'm probably not the best person to ask about all this stuff. I can tell you, i called ASUS support and they were great. i wasn't on hold for long at all, and the guy i spoke to helped me right away.

- Jon

800-323-2325 x120

Return to posts index

Gerald Rightmyer
on Jun 8, 2004 at 4:20:03 pm

I bought an Asus P4C800-E deluxe motherboad on line form newegg.com and it was dead on arrival. I sent it back and the replacement boad of the same model has worked fine. So getting a dead motherboard may be an all too common experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]