FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV out video card?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KentC
TV out video card?
on Jun 1, 2004 at 7:35:59 pm

I've been getting ready to build a video editing box. So far I've been doing a lot of reading and spec checking. I found the DIY article here at VideoGuys to be one of the best resources out there.

One question. From what I read having TV out on your video card is a valuable option. It seems to me that being able to play your compiled DVD directly from your hard drive to a TV before spending the time and money of burning a CD would be more valuable than having two monitors.

Why wasn't the TV out option mentioned in the DIY article? Are there dual monitor cards with TV out? Have I just misunderstood what I've been reading? (very possible, just getting started with video)

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: TV out video card?
on Jun 3, 2004 at 3:17:33 am

Both the Matrox RT.X10 and RT.X100 will play back your video fullscreen on a video monitor via their analog video outputs. I use this to preview my video effects, especially titles, on a tv during editing.

Return to posts index

KentC
on Jun 3, 2004 at 2:07:45 pm

John, thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a slightly cheaper solution to start out with. What do you know about the Matrox Millennium 750? It seems to have dual head and tv output and if I upgrade to the RTX10 I can use the card with it.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 4, 2004 at 4:04:23 am

Yes, you can use the P750 with either the X10 or X100, although I don't know what video software will utilize the tv output.

Return to posts index

Gerald Rightmyer
on Jun 8, 2004 at 5:12:15 pm

The main advantage of TV out is being able to see what you edit will look like on an actual TV which you are in the progress of editing it. You can burn your edit to a DVD-RW cheaply and view it before burning to a permanent disc but of course this takes more time than seeing while you are actually editing.

Return to posts index

salvationdave
on Jul 13, 2004 at 3:42:04 am

I have a 128mb Parhelia card at work that I run in a dual monitor + TV setup. It works great with DV and mpeg footage. Any source that uses a video overlay gets sent to the tv. I used to love going to Apple's website and watching movie trailers but something in Quicktime 6.5 caused it to stop using a video overlay. My experience has been that almost all AVI and Windows Media files use a video overlay and quicktime used to depend on what codec the file used.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]