FORUMS: list search recent posts

thermal grease?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chuk
thermal grease?
by
on May 27, 2004 at 9:30:39 pm

Is it necessary? I am building a video editing PC similar to the one in the DIY forum here...I have the ASUS mobo and ordered a P4 3.0 GHz processor but have no real plans to overclock with it. I purchased the retail package with heatsink and fan included so I was wondering if I should also apply some thermal grease or just install as is?

thanks.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: thermal grease?
by
on May 28, 2004 at 12:43:19 am

Highly recommend you NOT use the little double stick heat transfer tape. USE thermal grease in between the processor and heatsink. Artic Silver will give you the best heat transfer, but any other thermal grease should do the job.

Return to posts index

chuk
by
on Jun 1, 2004 at 4:38:56 pm

When you say "double stick heat transfer tape" are you referring to the little gray square of HS compound that comes already attached to the heatsink?? And if so, it sounds like you are suggesting that I remove this, clean the heatsink and chip surface and useArctic silver in its place??

Does this really give better heat transfer than the Intel provided compound?

Just trying to make sure this is the best approach...

thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

BYO_Bliss
on Jun 1, 2004 at 5:17:58 pm

yep - clean it off with a razor blade. don't scrath the heatsink.
the Intel thermal "pad" should work fine if you're not overclocking, or really pushing your CPU. since this is a digital vid forum, tho - you might.

if you really care about cooling you might want to upgrade the fan as well, then you can leave the pad on for whomever you give the stock fan to. I like the Vantive fans - they use magnets so are very quiet and work great. make sure you get the one that matches your CPU's "socket type" - AMD and Intel P4 use diff socket types.

the artic silver folks are fanatic about getting good contact between both CPU and heatsink - they have detailed instructions. it's cheap - $3-5 at newegg.com and very worth it.

I would wait till I got it, read there excellent instructions, it will tell you how to properly clean both sides.

one tube of AS will last you 2 or 3 CPU installs - so you'll have enough for your next DIY job. :^)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]