FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decisions, decisions...

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JamesT
Decisions, decisions...
on May 24, 2004 at 4:56:39 am

I am trying to put together a system for vide editing. I have basically everything except for software and some sort of Analog to DV converter. This is where I am having trouble making a decision.
I like the Canopus ADVC300 for converting older VHS video tapes to DV, but then I need a separate software package; which one should I choose. I have used Adobe, Avid and Vegas all before, but not extensively.

OR

I have been eyeing the ADS PYRO A/V Link Professional with all the bundled software (seems like a great deal). But I can't seem to make a decision.

Any suggestions or questions I should be asking myself to evaluate what I should get would be great. Thanks

James

Return to posts index

bbedit
Re: Decisions, decisions...
on May 27, 2004 at 2:10:37 pm

What have you decided with regards to the ADS Pyro? I am trying tomake the same decision.... but am thinking about getting a Pinnacle Systems capture card... my only concern is that I want to always be able to output the edited video to vhs tape

Return to posts index

Ron Moody
on May 27, 2004 at 9:59:33 pm

I'm not into the ADS stuff, but have found myself dumping exclucively to DVD as a master. Then if I want copies, I just dup them from the DVD master. Quality is second to none, and you have an archival quality master without tying up your editing equipment.

Just a thought. It's working for me.
ron moody from Maui

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on May 28, 2004 at 2:06:04 pm

if you're using older analog video and you need to clean up the signal go with the ADVC300 and purchase the Video Collection from Adobe as well. Otherwise the Pyro A/V Link Pro will do a great job, and for $549.95 it is a GREAT deal.

- Jon

http://www.videoguys.com
800-323-2325 x120

Return to posts index

BYO_Bliss
on Jun 1, 2004 at 5:47:54 pm

if I understand your question correctly....

have you thought about using your DV cam's analog in (s-video connected to VHS VCR), and then using the dvout (fireware) to your computer's capture card?

some DV cams have a built in "analog -> dv bridge" !

if your DV cam supports this, it can save $ with acceptable results.

a thought....

Return to posts index

SteveGeorge
Re: Decisions, decisions..., analog to digital
on Jul 1, 2004 at 7:45:40 pm

The key question remains the comparable quality of the digital video, if one were to use the suggested ``analog -> dv bridge" (via the DV cam). That is: given a reasonable good DV Cam, for example the Canon ZR series, is the DV output of the same quality as the PYRO AV link or Canopus ACDV 100? That question has been asked in other sections (and by many others) of this forum, but so far I have not seen an answer.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Decisions, decisions..., analog to digital
by
on Jul 8, 2004 at 2:30:46 pm

That's probably because most folks here are your average user. I have seen footage that was digitized using my own Sony PC-9 and a friends Canopus system. Both were viewed on an NTSC monitor. I couldn't tell the difference.

Perhaps if you need color correction, and if you have older video, you might need something higher end, but if you are just going to view on a TV screen, I can't imagine anyone spotting the difference if there even is one to begin with.

Wish I could give you a real technical answer, this is just a subjective viewpoint from a single user...

Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]