FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames - Should I Always Expect Zero?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
briancw
Dropped Frames - Should I Always Expect Zero?
on Apr 6, 2004 at 8:37:19 pm

I typically get 1 to 5 dropped frames when capturing 30 to 60 minutes of footage as a single sequence. Seems like a trivial amount, but should I always expect zero dropped frames if everything is working correctly - even though I'm capturing so much footage at once? Thanks

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Dropped Frames - Should I Always Expect Zero?
on Apr 7, 2004 at 12:39:10 am

Yes, you should expect 0 dropped frames, although the answer really depends on what you're trying to capture. So provide some info about your system configuration.

Return to posts index

briancw
on Apr 7, 2004 at 3:57:58 pm

I have a 3ghz P4 processor, 1G memory, dedicated ATA RAID storage array(2 120GB drives striped), Pinnacle DVD500, Premiere 6.5. I also think I've done most of the system optimization recommendations of Videoguys short of updating the bios. Seems to me like I should be OK. I am upgrading to Pinnacle Edition Pro - maybe this will help. Averaging 3 dropped frames per hour of video doesn't seem like a big deal, but still I was expecting none.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 8, 2004 at 4:41:20 am

I suspect the RAID is your problem. Try configuring just one drive as master on your motherboard secondary IDE channel for your video capture. You don't mention your system drive. If you're using your RAID for both video and boot, that's your problem. You need a boot drive on your primary IDE channel and a video drive on your secondary IDE channel to prevent Windows from interrupting your capture.

An ATA RAID controller uses the PCI bus interface, whether it's on the motherboard or plugged into a slot, which can interfere with your capture card. The motherboard IDE ports do not, so the capture card can use the PCI bus without interference.

Return to posts index

briancw
on Apr 8, 2004 at 3:52:25 pm

I have two RAID arrays. I'm using a Promise Fastrak controler with two channels plugged into a PCI slot. The first array (2 7200 120GB drives)is configured using RAID 1 (mirroring). This array contains my OS (Win XP Pro) and all my software and data files. The second array (also 2 7200 120GB drives)is configured using RAID 0 (striping)and is used only for video editing.

I will be disappointed if using the Fastrak PCI controler with RAIDed drives is inferior to a single drive connected directly to the motherboard.

Vidoeguys clearly recommends the Fastrak RAID configuration as a higher performance alternative.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 8, 2004 at 5:28:22 pm

Your configuration effectively places the OS and the video files on the same drive, as they're hosted on the same controller. When Windows periodically takes control, you'll drop frames, as you discovered. I would recommend putting a single boot drive as master on your motherboard primary IDE channel. You probably can then keep your video drives on the Promise controller, although you don't really need a RAID for DV editing.

Otherwise, you might be able to add a second Promise controller to host your OS, but that moves the potential OS/video conflict from the single Promise controller to the PCI bus.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 9, 2004 at 12:55:31 pm

We recommend using a RAID for your dedicated storage. We do not recommend using a raid for the system drive.

If you feel you must mirror your system drive as a fialsafe, then we would recommend it be on a seperate controller card.

One last note: FastTrack pci cards should be flashed with the latest bios / drivers from Promise. All too often the unit you purchase has out of date firmware.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

mojohand
on Aug 27, 2004 at 1:20:42 am

Get all your system stuff off your raid. You should have a dedicated system drive. Use your raid only for capture and you should achieve happiness.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]