FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gigabit Network and editing workstations

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Moody
Gigabit Network and editing workstations
on May 17, 2004 at 5:47:20 am

I've been considering setting up a server with 4x250 sata in two raids of 500GB each (in the same box). It would serve two to three workstations running either P4 3.2GHZ or AMD 64 bit processors running XP and Premiere / Photoshop / After effects.

My hope is that the server would offer enough bandwidth over the Gigabit network to serve these two to three workstations.

I've asked in several places but so far have not found anyone who can answer that this is either possible, or at least likely.

I am just getting ready to upgrade to Premiere Pro, mostly because of the level of integration between the family of Adobe products; it provides a pretty well rounded suite of production tools and I've been using it on my home system. Other than some stuttering problems that appear to mostly be due to out-of-date video drivers (resolved I think), there has been very little problems with the setup. It's been pretty stable. Other than teething problems with Adobe using me and others to beta test their Encore program, and then allowing me the priviledge to pay them for an upgrade once they've (hopefully) fixed the bugs we've found for them, the Adobe software is solid. I can't believe how powerful After Effects is.

The prior paragraph is mostly for those who might be curious what I'm trying to accomplish. Oh, let me add one thing. We're currently turning out six half-hour broadcast shows weekly on Premiere 6 running on Win2k. Yesterday I was informed that an international cable network wants to pick up our show, which would bring us up to 11 weekly shows. Five shows would be sent out weekly with minor variations to make up ten of the eleven. It's important for me though, to have a system that is stable and will provide me a solid working platform. Budget is a major major major factor.

What do you think?

ron
ronmoody@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]