FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poll: SATA / RAID / SCSI / Where to put data?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D_
Poll: SATA / RAID / SCSI / Where to put data?
by
on Apr 25, 2004 at 11:44:04 am

This question seems to be a hot topic, so I thought I'd start a
poll for Video enthusiasts and beginners alike:

On what drive do you store your video files?
Your system files?

Do you use SCSI, IDE, or SATA drives? How about RAID arrays? Do you have separate drives for the system and your video programs? How about your video files? What size hard disks are you using? Do you output to DVD or to VCD? How about to Video Tape?

Don't be shy, tell us how you set up your system. Maybe your inputs will help someone decide how to build their system.

I look forward to hearing how you have your system set up.

Dylan

Return to posts index

D_
Re: SATA vs. IDE vs. SCSI? RAID 0? / Where to put
by
on Apr 25, 2004 at 11:54:48 am

First to answer my own poll...Hope this isn't taboo...

I have two computers, one primarily for video and image editing, the other primarily for e-mail and Internet.

On the video computer, I have.

[Edit: This is an Athalon 1.33 GHz single CPU DIY System running great!]

20GB 7200RPM IDE (IBM) for System Files
20GB 7200RPM IDE (IBM) for Video Application Software, Data Files, Word documents, Web Page Documents etc.

40GB 5000RPM IDE (WD) for Image Files (Photographs, Backup Video etc)
60GB (3x20GB RAID 0) 7200 RPM IDE (IBM) for Video Capture, Editing and Output files.

External 160 GB (Maxtor) for backup (includes video) and music files.

(Sitting unopened next to the computer are two new 160 GB and one new 120 GB HDD waiting to be installed. The two 160s will be RAID 0 for video while the 120 will replace the 40 GB. The 20 GB IBM drives will become new system drives--One drive for Win 2000, one for Win98SE and a third for WinXP--for comparison purposes as I upgrade my system)...

I usually dedicate one drive with separate folders for capture files, work in progress, and finished products. After the finished product has reached a stable and truly complete stage, I delete the capture and work files. I store the finished product on the backup disk, send to tape and then delete those files from the video drive. This way, the drive is always ready for a new project. The 60GB limitation prevented me from working on multiple projects, but the new dual 160GB will give me 320 GB to work with. And also requires that I move to WinXP. That upgrade to XP is another project I will post the results of later...(One computer succesfully migrated to XP, one more to go...)

Dylan

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Poll: SATA / RAID / SCSI / Where to put data?
on Apr 26, 2004 at 2:18:18 am

I have a dual Athlon MP system with a Matrox RT.X100 and three IDE hard drives, just like Matrox recommends.
IDE0 MAS - C: boot drive
IDE0 SLA - F: export drive 80 GB
IDE1 MAS - E: video drive 120 GB
IDE1 SLA - D: Plextor 708A

I capture video on E, do my editing, and then realtime transcode for DVD on F. I do the DVD authoring on F and build the DVD folder back on E. This way I'm always reading from one IDE channel and writing to another for maximum I/O throughput.

Return to posts index

Jedge14
on Apr 27, 2004 at 6:09:10 am

John Q - new to this forum but noticed you're one of the few talking about an Athlon system. I mean what about the prospect of the 64 bit processor? How come they are not mentioned as often as the P4, etc..???I have been researching P4 setup's for about a month now, but I want to know more about AMD..Any advice for a setup moderately priced that will do NLE fast and with quality of course? Any feedback would be appreciated as I am in a rush to get things started. Thanks...
jedge

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 28, 2004 at 2:39:11 am

When I built my dual Athlon system, that was the best and fastest available at the time for video editing. The dual cpu's really sped up any rendering, but not by a factor of 2. It's only about 50% faster than a single cpu. The limiting factor seems to be disk I/O.

Since I use Adobe video products, dual cpu's are supported. Today the most cost effective video editing system would probably be a hyperthreading P4, which is the equivalent of a dual cpu system.

The Athlon 64 may have faster memory, but the HT P4 has the equivalent of a second integer processing unit.

Return to posts index

sydc
by
on Jun 5, 2004 at 8:13:23 pm

I have recently built a system using the folowing configuration;
Dual Xeon 2.8ghz processors with 18GB SCSI 10k drive for the system files and 2x73GB 10k SCSI drives in RAID 0 for the video editing drives. Hyperthreading is enabled and tests I have made on the system shows a marked increase in rendering time when hyperthreading was turned off.

I decided on the use of SCSI as the disk standard as opposed to using SATA as minimal CPU time is used for data transfers to the Raid drives.

If you can stretch the cash to dual processors and raid drives then go for it, the difference is noticeable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]