FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMD 64 system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bugdog
AMD 64 system
on Apr 21, 2004 at 12:19:40 pm

Hi guys! I'm new to the NL video scene but I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers for anywhere I go. I'm in the process of selecting components for a new system that will allow me to perform video editing and play flight simulators. The components I have chosen for my system are as follows:

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP based on the VIA K8T800 chipset
CPU: AMD 64 3200+, 1MB L2 Cache
RAM: 1 GB - Kingston HyperX series PC-3500
VIDEO: ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro
HD Primary: WD SATA Raptor 74GB (partitioned into c: and d: drives)
HD Secondary: Seagate SATA 160GB (loaded with Video Editing software)
DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-106
CD-RW / DVD Combo Drive: Samsung SM-352BENB

I plan to use either the Ulead or Pinnacle video software.

I realize that what I'm trying to accomplish may require some trade-offs. At any rate, I welcome any comments, positive or negative.
Thanks for your help.
Bugdog

Return to posts index

D_
Re: AMD 64 system
by
on Apr 24, 2004 at 12:27:10 am

Bugdog,

What is your question? Do you need help with choosing system components? NLE software? location for installing software?

Dylan

Return to posts index

Bugdog
on Apr 25, 2004 at 8:44:37 pm

The question is...Can one build a competent video editing system utilizing the AMD 64 chip? I think the components I have selected will work but I haven't been able to find much on the internet about AMD 64 based editing systems. I'm looking for some information from someone who might have such a system. A Pentium 4 based system is certainly an option, but I see the 64 bit path as the wave of the future and I'm trying to build a sytem that I won't have to replace in two or three years. I have also noted that a number of the video editing software companies have announced their support for 64 bit processing software.

Any help is most appreciated.
Thanks,
Bugdog

Return to posts index

Michael P
on May 5, 2004 at 2:55:07 am

I know personally that AMD 64 works great for Video editing. I am currently on my second big video edting project with this system (athlon 64fx, 2gb ram, 800gb hard drive space), and it is exremely fast. Though software has been talked about being made for 64bit processors, it has yet to be turned into a real product due to lack of windows 64bit edition being released. with your system as set up, it should work great, if you are expecting a major improvement over a p4 based system, you will NOT get these results, but at the same time, you will have a system that is good enough for gaming, video editing, sound editing, etc, and then be ready for expanding once 64-bit technology hits the frontlines.

About not having to replace your system within two to three years... i hate to say it but good luck. Unless you plan on using the same version software, don't want to get with the latest NLE, or even just have somethign to use to play games in your spare time, you will pretty much be required to upgrade before then. I have had my system less than a year, and i have made so many upgrades it is not even funny. If it wasn't for winning contests, i would not have anything close to the system i have today.

In the end... Yes, an AMD64 processor (be it fx or + series) would work for video editing, really it just depends on what you plan on doing with the machine. Like I said, in the digital video world, System Requirements keep getting jacked up with every update or new release, and soon your setup might be close to the recommended system requirements for an NLE. I think that this is a personal decision that you need to make, because i can't really say if I am more for one processor over the other. Go with what you think is the best decision to reach your goal.

Return to posts index

Bugdog
on May 5, 2004 at 3:42:01 am

Thanks NfoRcErX.
I am glad to hear there is SOMEONE out there willing to admit they have such a system and it WORKS! When you look at it, you are probably right. I WILL have to upgrade......most likely sooner than I want. Since this is my first foray into the non linear editing world, I will probably spend some time getting up to speed on the software and will most likely work with it for at least a year or two before I decide to upgrade or swith software. I am currently considering the Ulead MediaStudio Pro as what I want to start out with. I figure it will take me some time to learn all the ins and outs of the program. Once I get the basics down, then I will look around and see if I want to change programs. (By the way, Ulead recently announced they were going to support the AMD64 chipset with their software. Haven't seen this from anyone else but MS)

One last item..... I noticed in one your other emails in this forum to another newbie that you did not recommend the VIA chipset. The particular MB that I am looking at has the VIA K8T800 chipset in it. Based on what I have read on various websites, VIA does have a problem when it comes to video editing systems. Since the K8T800 is a new chipset for them, I would think they would have addressed this issue. If you know whether this is the case or not, I'd be interested to know. Otherwise, I'll have to find a SIS or nVidia chipset based motherboard.

Again, many thanks for providing the encouragement to pursue the AMD 64. I think it holds a lot of promise and I expect that now there is a major 64 bit processor out there, the software developers will step up to meet the challenge. They did it before and I'm sure they will do it again.

Sorry if I got a little winded.
BugDog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]