FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Drive Config

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dvbill
Hard Drive Config
on Apr 18, 2004 at 11:46:32 pm

I currently have two 30gb IBM ATA/100 drives and a Promise Fastrack UDMA100 Raid controller. I'm in the process of starting some NLE projects and plan to add a Western Digital 250gb drive. I'm also upgrading my mother board and processor to an Intel P4 2.8gb 800fsb.

My question, how best to configure the drives for system (XP), capture, edit and create? Should the two 30's be raid 0 for system and application files and then use the 250gb as a big storage area? Should the 250gb be broken down into smaller vitural drives for capture, edit and create?

Thanks..

Return to posts index

BYO_Bliss
Re: Hard Drive Config
on Jun 1, 2004 at 5:33:26 pm

2 x30G isn't a lot of space for dv editing, but I would probably raid 0 them (striping, no mirroring) for best performance, and use the big IDE as the backup drive.

if you have to include your boot/os in this, you could also do something like this:

Drive 1: boot OS (XP) off of one 30G (should be big enough for that)

Drive2:
partition1: put windows swap file on the other 30G drive (in it's own partition with minsize and maxsize set to 2x installed ram,
partition 2: use as a working volume

Drive 3: (large IDE) - partition into a couple volumes, a 2nd working area and a backup area.

dangerous to have backup on same physical disk, so I would get an external drive enclosure with another HD to backup to.
drives are cheap. how much is your data worth?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]