FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to store video files, Raid or IDE drive?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
skwsith
Where to store video files, Raid or IDE drive?
on Apr 11, 2004 at 3:42:27 pm

I have two WD raptor 10K drives set to raid 0, and also have an IDE drive. Should I put my video files on the raid 0 drives or the single IDE drive? I know that most will say to store my video files on the single IDE drive only, and put my OS, programs, and import the video files and do my work on the raid drives. Another said to put my video files on the raid drives only, and put my OS, programs, and import the video files and do my work on the IDE drive. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Michael P
Re: Where to store video files, Raid or IDE drive?
on Apr 11, 2004 at 5:28:52 pm

In my opinion, you should put the Raid S-ATA drives as your main system/program hard drives. I would mainly support this because that will help you to get the most out of your system in boot times and loading huge programs such as any of the pinnacle or Adobe or Avid Programs. I personally don't have an S-ATA setup yet, but I helped my friend to build his machine, and we received great performance from using that setup. Personally, I use 3 internal IDE drives, and 2 external USB2.0 hard drives. Even though the USB2 isn't as fast as Serial ATA, I have yet to drop a frame from a tape whilst transferring. If I were you, i would setup the Raid for The main system drives, and then try and get another internal S-ATA hard drive for mass storage (they now have 200-300 gb s-ata drives widely available). They are a little more pricey than IDE drives, but supposedly get better results in fast writing applications. For almost any program, the 10,000 RPM and Raid 0 will not help you for writing files, only give you small changes whilst you are editing or compositing/Rendering. Just my $.02 . Good luck on your decision and future projects.

Return to posts index

skwsith
on Apr 11, 2004 at 6:33:13 pm

Thanks for your input. I see what you're getting at. Presently I have a maxtor 160gb U133 drive. Perhaps in the future I'll get a sata drive.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Apr 12, 2004 at 9:37:33 pm

Here is some reasoning to help you decide where to put your files.

Putting system files on a RAID 0 is typically used to speed up performance of system files, games, and rudimentary issues like system boot up times. Data is usually placed on a separate drive.

Putting video files on a RAID 0 setup is typically used for NLE Video to get better performance and a larger single drive for video storage and editing.

CONSIDERATIONS:

Although Hard Disks fail infrequently now, they still do fail. A RAID 0 (Striping) setup increases the chance that if just one drive fails, you lose the information on all drives. Placing the system drives on RAID 0 increases the chances of a complete system failure, but again, failures are so rare it is usually not a consideration—until it happens to you.

Not too long ago, IDE drives were not capable of keeping up with the demands of video and a fast SCSI drive was recommended, but SCSI was (and still is) expensive. This created demand for IDE RAID 0, and allowed small, cheap 5,000 RPM IDE drives to be used successfully for video editing.

Now, 7200 RPM fast-response IDE drives have eliminated that gap, and now even a large, single IDE drive can handle the load. [The 10,000 RPM Raptor is even more impressive here.] However, a single fast drive does ask for a lot more from your processor [the WD Raptor is very kind to the processor!] (But with faster processor speeds, this too is hardly noticeable.)

For DV editing, most current 7200 RPM drives are adequate in terms of speed, and sizes have grown significantly, thus reducing the necessity of using RAID 0 for home video enthusiasts. Which is why you are asking this question. [You didn't say the size of your Raptor Drives. If they are small, this is another reason to stripe them with a RAID 0 arrangment to get a bigger drive.]

As for SATA vs. traditional ATA, the future is obviously on the faster performing SATA. ATA began around 33 MB/sec, improved to 66 and the current bandwidth of ATA/100 is nearly maxxed out. The newest ATA/133 offers a scant ~20% gain in speed over ATA/100 and is probably the last updgrade for this format. SATA 1.0 is starting out at 150 Mb/sec with room to grow--SATA 2.0 should support 300 MB/sec, SATA 3.0 - 600 MB/s--while the SATA structure is designed to support up to 6GB/s thus ensuring the life of this standard out to about 10 years. Other factors other than speed are also in SATAs favor, such as longer cable runs, smaller cables, smaller signalling voltage, hot-swapping, no need for master/slave configurations, and better airflow inside your computer. [Note: SATA has not yet proven itself in terms of the extra cost involved over standard ATA, but the writing is on the wall for ATA.]

Build the system the way you need to, but keep these factors in mind.

RECOMMEND:
Get a single HD for your system files - 80 GB should be adequate. Don't put video files on the same drive as your system. Get the largest and fastest drive you can afford for your video files. I do not currently recommend using external drives for video <[color>Update! Edit: External USB 2.0 drives seem to work fine for video!] I DO NOT recommend putting your system AND video both on a single RAID controller! You may have a chance for dropped frames when putting your video back out to tape. Putting video on RAID 0 works great for speeding up access, getting you a larger continuous HD, and for reducing processor strain.

Take a look at other systems designed by NLE pros to help you decide what you would like to build. http://www.dvline.com DV Line Build-a-System Orision Vx1-Enthusiast Page has some setups just for video, none of which put the system on RAID, but give you generous space on large fast drives striped with RAID 0.

(whew!)

I hope this helps someone.

Dylan

Sources:
Cyberguys Spring/Summer 2003 Catalog p88 (Serial ATA discussion)
Toms Hardware WD IDE 120GB outperforms a SCSI drive
Tom's Hardware IDE-RAID With Notebook Drives: Quick And Quiet
A little blurb on RAID (Scroll down to: discussion on RAID 0
Talking about SATA vs SCSI for servers
Discussing SATA vs. ATA
Tech Report-Comparing SATA to (P)ATA
Hitachi discussion of SATA
DV Line Discussion of HDD Setup

Return to posts index

D_
by
on May 11, 2004 at 2:25:48 pm

Just ran my system through various configurations. The highest consistent data rates were for my drives hooked up as RAID 0. Single drives showed a decrease in performance as they span the disk.

That being said, even my slowest drive was still more than adequate for Video.

If you want the best, put your video files on a RAID array or a fast SCSI disk. I recommend the RAID since you can get more storage for a lot less money!

Dylan

Return to posts index

D_
by
on May 11, 2004 at 2:29:53 pm

Just ran my system through various configurations. The highest consistent data rates were for my drives hooked up as RAID 0. Single drives showed a decrease in performance as they span the disk.

That being said, even my slowest drive was still more than adequate for Video.

If you want the best, put your video files on a RAID array or a fast SCSI disk. I recommend the RAID since you can get more storage for a lot less money!

Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]