FORUMS: list search recent posts

New AMD DIY system comments needed

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kataleo
New AMD DIY system comments needed
on Apr 9, 2004 at 10:32:33 pm

Planning to upgrade my computer, and would like to know if you have any comment on the following configuration...

What I was thinking is to get a mid end video card, and then get a separate capture card... is it recommended? I was thinking WinTV-PVR 350...

(I have another 80GB drive which I will be incorporating to the new system later, so the 160GB is mainly for files and temps)

· AMD Athlon XP 2800+ BARTON 333FSB Processor, Retail 1
· Asus A7N8X-E-DX NF2 SocketA Mainboard w/Audio/GBLan/SATA/RAID/FW 1
· 512 MB PC3200 DDR Memory (BRAND NAME) 2
· Maxtor 160GB DMax Plus9 7200RPM 8MB ATA133 HDD, 1Yr 1
· LG 16X DVD-ROM Drive, OEM 1
· LG Dual-Mode 8X DVD-RW Drive, OEM 1
· MSI GFX-5600XT 128MB DH Video Card w/TV-OUT, Retail 1
· Antec Performance SX1000 II Full Tower Case w/Front USB NO PS 1
· Antec Solution Series 450 Watt ATX Power Supply 1
· Creative Labs Sound Blaster SBS230 2-Piece Speaker Set, Retail 1

Any comment/information is appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: New AMD DIY system comments needed
on Apr 10, 2004 at 5:23:58 am

Yes, both nVidia and Via chipset motherboards are not recommended for video, due to their PCI bus interface. For Athlon's, use an SiS chipset.

Return to posts index

kataleo
on Apr 10, 2004 at 9:25:59 pm

Does it mean Athlon64 and above is the only option?

Return to posts index

Michael P
on Apr 11, 2004 at 1:07:56 am

This system sounds good enough for editing. As John Mentioned, the Chipsets are frowned upon for their lack of bandwidth, but based on the level of editing you are doing, and the size of your files, this system should do. Unless you are Doing a DV Project would you really need a faster bus. DV takes up around 12gb an hour for a normal DV cam (non-widescreen), while Normal Video should take up FAR less space then that (due to the different sizes in resolution, and the difference in sound quality). I am basing my statements around the fact that you are doing any editing via a NON-DV camera, since you are looking into a Capture Card. This set-up sounds great to me, except one part. And that would have to be the Graphics Card. This card will suffice if you are not a big 3d gamer, but otherwise, it will be a major let down. I bought one over a year ago when they were new for 250 dollars for the 256mb edition. The speed was a small increase over my radeon All-In-Wonder 8500 128mb edition. If you are not a 3d gamer, this card will suffice, otherwise, look into ATIs mid-Range (the 9600 series). I hope that you have fun with your DIY project, and good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]