FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drives

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steele Productions
Drives
on Apr 8, 2004 at 1:45:58 pm

I am in the process of building an Avid express pro system, and I have received conflicting reports as to what hard drives are best. I will be doing some uncompressed editing, and I do a lot of compositing in aftereffects and a good amount of 3-d amination in Lightwave. I am going to go with a dual 3gh xeon motherboard, but I need to know what drives to go with. I have been told that SCSI drives are the way to go but they seem to be so expensive. I think that there is new technology out there that is as good but not as expensive, I just need to be led in the right direction.

Return to posts index

BYO_Bliss
Re: Drives
on Jun 1, 2004 at 5:41:27 pm

you're doing some heavy-duty work work on a dual processor system.

Go Scsi. you'll only cry once.

raid 0 (strip, no mirror) them for performance, and backup to large IDE drive(s).

scsi supports command queing on the drives so you have less wait states. sata is ok, still can't touch when you start multitasking.

why do servers still use scsi drives and controllers? (think about it) - max throughput, reliability, etc. most scsi drives still carry 5 yr warranties and are built for 24x7 operation. IDE drives typically have one year, with some minor exceptions (WD offers 3 yr warranty extensions, etc)

cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]