FORUMS: list search recent posts

A to D convertor / TV preview - help appreciated

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pedro
A to D convertor / TV preview - help appreciated
on Mar 22, 2004 at 7:14:37 am

Hi everyone. I have tried posting on other video editing website forums but cannot seem to get an answer to my question - so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a good spec PC and Adobe Premiere Pro. I plan to convert VHS to DVD and occassionaly edit footage for the web. I wont be outputting to VHS tape after editing.

I read that its best to have a TV hooked up when using premiere so you can view the TV output. I have an excellent panasonic flat TV with A/V inputs.

I am trying to make a decision about the best way to import my analogue VHS to the PC in DV format AND to view on TV as well as my Iiyama monitor ) while I edit. I am down to two choices:-

1. Canopus ADVC100 + firewire (OHCI) card. Output to TV via the D to A facility on the canopus unit.

2. Canopus ADVC1394 PCI OHCI card(functions as A-d covnertor and OHCI). Output to TV using a graphics card TV out connector.

Any thoughts on which is the best route to go down?
Is one method going to give me better quality output to TV than the other?
If I choose option 2 do I need a graphics card with a certain type of TV out port?
I read somewhere that I need a "video overlay" facility on the TV out port. I dont know what that means - any ideas?
Is Premier Pro fully compatible with either of the above methods?

I should mention I dont have a DV camera so using that for A to D passthrough is not an option.

Thanks for your time

Pete

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: A to D convertor / TV preview - help appreciat
on Mar 22, 2004 at 2:27:30 pm

For Premiere pro get the Canopus ADVC100. you want the two way AV/DV support. The analog output of the ADVC100 is great with a TV. I'm not a big fan of using a graphics card as a substitute for DV output converted into analog.

You should also look inot the ACEDVio card. It has the same functionality as the ADVC100 on a single PCI card.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]