FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flat Panel or CRT for Adobe NLE system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
videocrafter
Flat Panel or CRT for Adobe NLE system
on Mar 12, 2004 at 10:31:29 pm

Okay now that I've built the new system for editing video, I just can't make up my mind about what type of monitor I should invest in. I love the look of a flat panel, but would I be better off with just a good ole flat screen CRT? (Two monitor system of course)

Return to posts index

XXFirefighter
Re: Flat Panel or CRT for Adobe NLE system
on Mar 13, 2004 at 12:30:36 am

LCD's tend to "ghost"
But if you can live with it then get them...
Gamers don't use them because of that !

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Apr 10, 2004 at 2:40:50 pm

This is a good question. Anyone using LCDs for video work? DVline advertises their Orision line solely with Viewsonic LCDs, Safe Harbor lists two LCD Viewsonic monitors and one CRT monitor. 1Beyond only lists LCDs.

Any recommendations here? Sure looks like Viewsonic is popular with the Turnkey guys...

Dylan

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 10, 2004 at 7:56:22 pm

I've got dual Samsung 17" Syncmaster LCDs. LOVE THEM! I use my machine for editing, photostuff, website, emails and surfing.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Apr 13, 2004 at 6:26:25 am

Good read on the subject of LCDs.

Dell on Industry Transition to LCD Flat Panel Monitors

Dylan

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 18, 2004 at 1:26:34 pm

O.K.,

I am now working on dual Samsung 17" LCDs. Here is my take:

LCDs are getting cheaper, but for overall viewing quality, I prefer CRTs. That said, I regain a lot of desk space by using the LCDs.

I find that one LCD would have been plenty for every app that I run. With a 17" LCD at 1280x1024, I have more than enough room to view my timeline, video preview and selected video.

But, since I went ahead and took the plunge, here is my setup.

My left monitor is in landscape mode at 1280x1024 and is where I keep the timeline.

The right monitor is set in portrait mode at a reduced resolution. (I change the resolution depending on what I am working on. It is 960x1280 right now.) I keep my Preview windows and Tool boxes on this monitor. It is also where I bring up my e-mail editor and Internet Browser when I need them.

D

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 29, 2004 at 2:12:47 am

UPDATE:

After 3 months of using my dual 17" Samsung monitors, I don't know how I lived without them. The biggest problem I had was one monitor was not calibrated properly. I found a test screen pattern of little alternating black and white squares, pressed Auto adjust, and life has been good ever since.

I don't have the best color adjustment, but when I figure that out, I don't think I will ever go back to CRTs.

Having one monitor in Portrait mode, and the other in Landscape mode is great for working on doucments and viewing web pages.

Landscape is good for everything else!

Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]