FORUMS: list search recent posts

new computer

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynn L. Emerich
new computer
on Mar 6, 2004 at 1:56:22 am

Anyone here either using or have an opinion on Gigabyte mobo. I'll be putting together a new computer to use with Vegas. My local guy where I get most of my stuff, carried Gigabyte and MSI boards. All the MSI boards use VIA chipsets and will use AMD chips. I have one of these now and ever since I loaded Winxp Pro, it's been doing a lot of strange things. I have downloaded and installed all the newer drivers with no luck.
Prices are comparable for the mobo, but the cpu is $100 more for Intel - worth it to me if I can use my editor. I'm planning on at least a 2800 or 3000, with 1 gig ram and 400 watt supply. I'll use the drives from this system and probably pick up a pair of larger hard drives. Opinions anyone or suggestions.

Lynn

PS: I know I can get these parts cheaper, but would prefer to stay local. At least I have someone to yell at if I have a problem

Return to posts index

Damon Gaskin
Re: new computer
on Mar 6, 2004 at 2:38:32 pm

Hi, stay away from the VIA chipsets unless it is for the Athlon 64, and even then your taking your own risk. If your dealer has a motherboard based off a SIS 745 chipset, I know for sure that it will work since I have an ASUS A7S333 based off it. You may also want to try some of the Nforce 2 boards, but I have a Matrox system, and for realtime export to DV, you cannot use it, so there is something with the PCI bandwith on that chipset, but if you don't plan realtime firewire export, it could be a potential candidate also. Have you looked at the Athlon 64's at all? They are extremely economical, and from what I hear rock solid as far as stability is concerned(A few Matrox X100 users have been running the ASUS K8V Deluxe quite well for a little while now). They can't say enough about the stabilty of these machines, so this may be a viable option also since the entry price is not far above the price for a mid level Pentium setup. I am actually considering it for myself in the near future(depending on what happens next month at NAB and the announcement Matrox makes). But I agree with you on the local retailer. Sometimes it's worth paying the extra coin if you can have that sense of confidence. Well, good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]