FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS TO DVD Capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
goose
VHS TO DVD Capture
on Mar 6, 2004 at 4:32:06 pm

Just want to copy vhs to dvd and want to know which device is suited for my system, would like to use usb2 or firewire connectivity. System is as follows.

1. CPU: Barton 2500
2. Motherboard: Epox EP-8RDA3+ nForce2 Ultra 400
3. Memory: 2 Crucial 512MB PC3200MB
4. Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital SE 40GB/ 7200rpm 8MB cache
5. Optical Drives: 1: Plextor PX708A 2: Lite-on Combo Drive
6. Sound Card: Audigy2zs
7. Video Card: Crucial Radeon 9100 128MB AGP
8. Modem: Zoom Model 3025
9. Case: Antec SX835II With 550 Watt True Power PSU

Have been looking at Plextor Convertx PX-M401u and some ADS products also some Avermedia, but I have read bad reviews on all, would like some advice as to what works with the nForce2 chipset. Thanks For The Advice In Advance. Dan J.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: VHS TO DVD Capture
on Mar 7, 2004 at 5:25:10 am

1. Neither the nForce nor Via chipsets are recommended for video work. Their bus bandwidth just doesn't handle video well.

2. While you have a dedicated video drive, 40 GB is a bit small. DV uses 13 GB per hour. Then you add in rendering snippets and DVD transcoding, 40 GB couldn't even a 2-hour project. I wouldn't have a video drive smaller than 80 GB myself. Mine are 120's.

3. When you talk about converting VHS to DVD, commercial VHS tapes typically have Macrovision encoding to mess up your sync circuits. Higher end digitizers may be able to clean this up, but I doubt that a low end product can.

Return to posts index

goose
on Mar 21, 2004 at 5:30:38 pm

Have been checking around and have been getting some input for the VHS video capture, it sounds like the Hauppauge PVR-250 might be my best option, after a hard drive upgrade, looking at a Seagate 120GB, 7200RPM with 8MB cache, any thoughts on this config. This system would be just for coppying no editing involved.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 22, 2004 at 3:33:20 am

The new drive will help, but you're still stuck with a poor motherboard. The specs for the PVR-250 don't mention anything about a time base corrector (TBC), which would help with Macrovision, so I doubt you could digitize commercial VHS tapes with this board.

Return to posts index

goose
on Mar 27, 2004 at 7:07:07 pm

From all the replies from other sites that I have received, the Hauppauge PVR-250 personal video recorder model 980 is the item of choice, not a bad review out of 20, and most on amd systems of same speed and type of chipset.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]