ADDED:
2gb ddr 400 ecc ram
ati 9600xt
80g and 160g internal drives
160g firewire and 250g usb2 external in ads cases
soundblaster audigy 2nx usb2 external sound
Liteon 851s 8x +- dvd burner
52x32 cdrw

Can I set the pagefile to "No pagefile" to force the computer to access the ram to operate faster and is it safe to do? Also, can the scratch drive be set to anything if the ram is never asked for all of its resources...i.e. no scratch drive necessary?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: ram/pagefile question on new system
on Mar 4, 2004 at 4:46:19 am

Yes, you can set the computer to no pagefile, but your video program will freeze, when Windows decides it has to manage memory. A pagefile allows Windows to swap blocks of RAM to/from the hard drive as needed. Windows 3.1 could operate without a swapfile, but Windows 2000 and XP can't. You might think you could add more RAM, but you can't. Each version of Windows has a RAM limit that it's designed to manage. Exceeding that limit actually makes Windows think it has less.

Bottom line. Windows needs its swapfile. On a video editing system, it needs to be expanded beyond the default setting. Put it on your boot drive and put your video files on a dedicated hard drive on its own interface.

Return to posts index

dorkn
on Mar 4, 2004 at 11:14:00 am

John, Where can you change your swap file setting in WIN XP? I remeber seeing it once but I don't remeber where. How much over the default setting did you go? I have a 160 gig main drive and a 160 video storage drive.

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 5, 2004 at 5:11:23 am

To get to the virtual memory settings on XP:
<*>Open your System control panel<*>Select the "Advanced" tab<*>Click the "Performance - Settings" button <*>Click the "Advanced" tab <*>Click the "Change" button

I have 1 GB RAM. My settings are 1536-3072 on Drive C. The maximum size is limited to 4 GB or 4096. XP can't manage more memory than this. 64 bit cpu's will have a larger limit.

Return to posts index

watchtower7
on Mar 5, 2004 at 11:39:29 pm

not questioning your knowledge but...is the pagefile best set up on the system drive or another drive?
And in Photoshop, should the scratch disk be a seperate drive?
Thanks

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 6, 2004 at 7:01:05 am

If you're running simple Windows apps, then not having your swapfile on your boot drive will be slightly faster than having the swap on the boot. With the speed of hard drives and computers today, the difference is not significant.

We're talking about video editing here, so the video drive has to be dedicated to doing your video work to not drop frames. Put all your video files on your video drive and put all your swap/scratch files on your boot drive.

Return to posts index

watchtower7
on Mar 8, 2004 at 9:35:56 pm

interesting dilemna then-photoshop wants the swap file on another drive. scratch file too
2 swap files ok?
Will each program know which one to use by assignment in edit/preferences?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 9, 2004 at 9:45:46 pm

Each program has its preferences. You should typically use their default settings for best performance.

For video editing, you want a dedicated video drive on a port separate from the system boot drive. Let Windows do its management on its own drive, so it won't interfere with your video capture or playback.

Return to posts index

skydiver41
on Mar 9, 2004 at 10:21:17 pm

One of the early Windows performance tweaks was to set the upper and lower limits of the pagefile size to the same number so that Windows wasn't constantly resizing it and wasting CPU time. Will that tweak work in a NLE situation? Thanks.

Blue Skies
Skydiver41

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 10, 2004 at 4:57:31 am

The Windows 2000/XP kernel is based on the NT kernel, which manages memory differently than Win9x did. I've found just having enough memory to do the job has a greater impact on system performance than the virtual memory settings.

When I upgraded my 192 MB RAM PIII-800 notebook from Windows 98SE to Windows XP, I found it spent all its time accessing the hard drive. After I bumped the memory up to 512 MB, it became quite responsive, enabling me to open several applications simultaneously without a lot of memory swapping. And no, I don't do video editing on my notebook. Just troop records, website authoring, digital photo editing, and Powerpoint.

Return to posts index

skydiver41
on Mar 11, 2004 at 3:30:27 am

Cool! But even with enough RAM (1.5 - 2.0 GB) for NLE, would it make XP (or WIN2K) run even faster if the pagefile where set to the same min and max size so that the OS wouldn't have to waste CPU time adjusting its size? Thanks.

Blue Skies
Skydiver41

Return to posts index

skydiver41
on Mar 11, 2004 at 3:31:08 am

Cool! But even with enough RAM (1.5 - 2.0 GB) for NLE, would it make XP (or WIN2K) run even faster if the pagefile where set to the same min and max size so that the OS wouldn't have to waste CPU time adjusting its size? Thanks.

Blue Skies
Skydiver41

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 11, 2004 at 5:39:34 am

There are lots of tweaks listed at the Videoguys WinXP Hints page. With the speed of today's systems, the benefits of the extra tweaks are probably marginal at best.

Return to posts index

Charles
on Mar 11, 2004 at 7:47:09 am

"With the speed of today's systems, the benefits of the extra tweaks are probably marginal at best."

Alright then, if they are only marginal at best then you can say they those tweaks represented on the videoguys page would be useless with todays computers and the XP operative system, right?
If I'm only going to get a marginal difference then it would not be worth going through all those excellent tweaks.
Just wanted to understand you a little better. Thanks.

Charles King
Http://homebuiltstabilizers.com

Return to posts index

John Q
on Mar 12, 2004 at 2:45:30 am

Do the basics. If you have a problem, then do more.

Mechanic's Rule - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]