FORUMS: list search recent posts

EIDE layout?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dorkn
EIDE layout?
on Feb 28, 2004 at 1:38:42 am

I am building my new PC as I type this. I have stopped as for I would like suggestions on how to layout my hard drives and DVD burner on my EIDE channel 1 and 2.
I know my system drive (c:) will be Master on Channel 1.

I have a 2nd WD 160gig drive for my video capture and export. I want it to be Master on channel 2.

Where should I put the burner? Slave on channel 1 or 2?

I am guessin 1 since my footage will be stored on my matsre drive on channel 2. I would think you wouldn't want your storage drive and dvd burning the stored footage on the same EIDE channel?

Could someon give me some advice hear...

Thanks.

I will be capturing my footage through ADS Pyro Platinum Card and using Adobe Premiere 6.5 to edit. Sony DVD +/- R/RW to burn my footage to DVD.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: EIDE layout?
on Feb 28, 2004 at 3:24:00 am

You can only talk to one IDE device on a channel at a time, so it would be theoretically faster to read from channel 2 and write to channel 1.

Return to posts index

XXFirefighter
on Feb 28, 2004 at 9:53:48 am

Yup what Q said EXACTLY !!!

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 28, 2004 at 11:35:48 pm

You can have two devices on an IDE port, a master and a slave. The port can only communicate with one device on the port at a time. The motherboard can communicate with both IDE ports at the same time, so it's faster to read from one port and write to the other port than to have both devices on the same IDE port.

In practical terms for burning a CD or DVD, it really doesn't matter, as the required I/O rate is far lower than the IDE port can support, even reading and writing to the same port.

In doing digital video, it can make a significant difference. Matrox recommends using an export drive as slave on IDEO with a video drive as master on IDE1 for doing realtime transcoding for DVD. This conforms to reading from IDE1 and writing to IDE0. As an experiment, I tested reading from IDE1 and writing to IDE1. The result was a 20% decrease in speed.

Return to posts index

dorkn
on Feb 29, 2004 at 2:14:32 pm

Thank you for all the input

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]