FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual P4 MotherBoard - Does someone make a dual P4

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc C
Dual P4 MotherBoard - Does someone make a dual P4
on Feb 20, 2004 at 8:51:12 pm

Does someone make a dual P4 motherboard?

Also it needs to be something that is upgradable and
can support a Canopus DV Storm2 Card

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Dual P4 MotherBoard - Does someone make a dual
on Feb 21, 2004 at 1:58:16 am

No. Multiprocessor Intel cpu motherboards use a special chipset and a special version of the P4 called Xeon.

Return to posts index

Marc C
on Feb 21, 2004 at 4:33:51 am

Tyan and others make a Dual Processor mother board. I have a board for PIII and i am currently running Dual 700's. I saw the one for the Xeon but they only go up to a 2.1MHZ processor and I want the fastest out there...

So what is out there or is the Xeon 2.1 the same speed as the P4 hyperthreading CPU.

Marc

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 22, 2004 at 12:41:25 am

The Xeon is usually one step behind the latest Pentium core. If you buy a hyperthreading Pentium4, you actually will have similar performance to a dual Xeon system with an OS and applications that support it, like Windows XP Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro. XP Pro wil actually report that you have a dual processor system, since you do have two independent integer units with the HT P4. I'd go with the single fast P4 myself.

Return to posts index

BYO_Bliss
on Jun 1, 2004 at 7:05:16 pm

I concur.

if large file IO and serious multitasking (ADD issues, anyone?) are your thing, the dual proc Mobos can have better bus throughput via PCI-X, scsi u320, gigalan, etc. Then it's worth serious consideration of a building a 24x7 workstation (dual).

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040514/e7505-chipsatz-12.html

Toms hardware did a recent review of "dual xeons" - but they didn't show the real-world benefits of IO and multitasking. Just single app comparisons, which were only marginally better. so I agree P4 with memory and drives to support will do great for most applications.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]