FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting system to the net

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jessehayes
Connecting system to the net
on Mar 31, 2005 at 2:30:13 pm

My business partner is paranoid. I insist on having our editing system connected to the net (wireless- w/radio disabled when not actually using)he thinks it's a bad idea... keep in mind this guy has no cell phone and isn't the most tech savvy guy. I see the up side as Downloading patches and updates if needed. All he can think of is hackers. We have one dedicated system running Avid Xpress Pro. Can anyone please give me some feedback? Am I crazy to want the ability to access the net?

Return to posts index

frankle
Network? "Sometimes" ... Wireless? "No"
on Apr 11, 2005 at 4:38:35 pm

Most computers come with an RJ45 network connection, built in. Use that and connect to a DSL or Cable-Modem router (LinkSys).

Wireless is undesirable, from a security standpoint. Ever heard of "War Driving"?
Do a Google search on that.

I am recommending that you use a "hard wired" connection to the internet and to DISABLE automatic updates because they can (sometimes) change your software config and render your NLE software "dysfunctional".

The nice thing about a hard-wired connection is that you can log onto trusted sites, when you need to download the latest device drivers, from your peripheral vendors or get patches and updates from software vendors BUT you can unplug your network connection, at other times.

DO NOT use your main business system or you digital content creation system as a web browsing surfing platform. Do not use a critical system for eMail, either !!! Repeat!

So, you are BOTH correct! With a business critical system, only connect when downloading NEEDED updates and patches ... otherwise, unplug.

=f=

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]