FORUMS: list search recent posts

want to get into video editing

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bry
want to get into video editing
by
on Jan 13, 2005 at 2:45:00 am

Right now i'm looking at either the imac g5 or Velocity vision w310.

My question is mainly with velocity under hardrive 1 it is set up with
2 x 74gb western digital raptor 10,000rpm. Being that i am new, that seems like too much for me plus i can save my self money if i just get 2 x 120 western digital wd1200 jd 7200.

for getting started is there any major benefit to having 10,000 rpm?

also if i go with the mac and learn on final pro would it be difficult if i purchased a PC to get use to using something like avid or are the techniques pretty similar?
thanks a lot for the help.

Bryan

Return to posts index

obioneballi
Re: want to get into video editing
on Jan 13, 2005 at 2:57:13 pm

Well, let me start with the whole Mac thing: Don't do it!!

Now that we're past that... :)

I have a raptor (single) 10k rpm 36.4GB drive as my OS drive, running WinXp Pro SP2 (avoid that SP2, too :))... I'd have to say it's a damn fast drive by itself, and from what I've read and heard, two of them would allow an even faster Windows loading time for WinXP - possibly some performance increase for applications too - but not a whole lot else...but if you have the cash it sounds cool to say you have 2x raptor drives in raid-0 :) I don't think it's worth spending the money for the larger 74GB drives in RAID-0 regardless - if you're going to do it, take the smaller 2x36GB raptor drives, which should credit you like $130 off your custom system and get a second drive for your video (or even a third so you can have a video drive and a rendering/work drive - though that will of course only be useful if everything is on a different channel/interface...

...and IMO, I'd forget buying your DVD burner through them and go get a nice one. I've not seen a lot of good things with LiteOn drives, and I can say first hand their "support" for them is less-than available. ooh - just saw that it comes with SP2 installed. Boo. :)

Return to posts index

Bry
by
on Jan 14, 2005 at 12:16:28 am

thanks a lot for input it is much appreciated, if you have any recomendations as far as hardware goes or who puts a nice system together i would love to hear them. Again thanks a lot.

Bry

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 14, 2005 at 2:05:15 am

Why no SP-2?

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 14, 2005 at 2:18:44 am

Oh I just hate M$'s attempts to "help protect you from everything" which is really code for "let's configure your PC to trust us and our products and oh by the way we're watching you"...

Call me paranoid, but I swear they're watching me as I type right now. :) If Linux had software like Sony Vegas with DVD Architect 2, I would be THERE in a heartbeat.

I'm also an online gamer, and I use the FREE method of GameSpy Arcade (as opposed to Xbox Live), not to get too off-subject. The SP2 installs new firewall "protection" and a ton of monitoring software... So even after you tell it to DROP the firewall, it monitors it and tells you that you don't have a firewall up. After shutting off the "protective" monitors, I still found the firewall becoming active whenever I would shut my software firewall off. Again, LEAVE ME ALONE M$. So finally I had to shoot it, twice, and it leaves me alone for the most part now.

They said it's supposed to fix a lot of "bugs" and security loopholes, but I had more things I had to re-correct and adjust after installing it than I think it was worth.

...and don't even get me started on what they did with the most recent versions of their Xbox console... :)

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 14, 2005 at 3:19:09 am

I have no problems with SP 2, but the Norton firewall is my default one. Video Studio 8 and DVD Movie Factory 3 run fine on it.
Most of the expert advice I have read recommend updating to SP 2.
Alienware offers XP Pro with SP2 on its workstations that offer Adobe, Avid, Matrox, Pinnacle Systems, Sony and Ulead products as video editing options, along with a number of graphics and audio programs.

Return to posts index

Bry
by
on Jan 14, 2005 at 3:19:31 am

ok i'v e been now looking at the alienware aurora performance here are the specs.

-Xp pro with sp2 (i see what your saying about sp2 and i actually agree with you on that)
-Alienware® 480 Watt Power Supply
-AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 3500+ Processor with HyperTransport Technology
-ABIT AV8 - VIA K8T800 Pro Motherboard
-1GB Alienware® Dual Channel Low-Latency DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
-ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9550SE 128MB w/Digital and S-Video Out (is this card good enough to run two monitors?)
-AlienIceâ„¢ 2.0 Video Cooling System
-80GB Seagate® Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
-160GB Seagate® Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
-NEC® ND-3500 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Recorder
-Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround Firewire (IEEE® 1394)
-Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

i think thats all the pertinent specs, would this be a quality system for video editing or shoudl i go with a pentium 4?

thanks
bry

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 14, 2005 at 2:10:03 pm

Yes, I know they all say install the latest service packs and all your problems will be gone... But then, if that were the case, why is M$ continually sending new patches for service packs almost as soon as they release them? :)

My problem is more than this latest SP2 seemed to be a PC idiot proofer more than anything else. You know, all that marketing they've been doing (AOL in particular) about "free anti-virus protection and anti-spam yadda yadda"... I just think they should have included a more complete setup process so you could tell M$'s anti-virus, pop-up blocker and monitoring to shut up without having to go into the control panel 8 times. :)

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 14, 2005 at 9:55:46 pm

I don't remember claiming that SP-2 would once and for all time fix XP's security vulnerabilities. The experts I read didn't claim that either. How much of an exaggeration would it be to say that there are more people trying to find Windows security vulnerabilities than there are Mac OSX users? After all, as the bank robber said about banks, "That's where the money is." The more people there are who look for Windows vulnerabilities, the more vulnerabilities will be found. What SP-2 does is offer options to fix the ones that have been identified.

On the other hand, if Mac OSX and Linux are less vunerable to outside attack, then so be it. I don't use Windows XP because I love Microsoft. I use it because it provides a stable platform for running the programs I do love.

When I installed SP-2 it recommended that I continue to use my already installed and configured Norton firewall as the default firewall, so I don't know about SP-2's security configuration problems.

What bothers me is that you listed having XP SP-2 installed as a reason for not buying a product. My opinion is that users should install the update for security purposes unless it interferes with
applications running properly.

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 15, 2005 at 1:37:41 am

Wow. :)

I don't remember saying that was a reason NOT to buy it, only that I'm not a fan of it (or getting a pre-installed SP2). I agree with everything you said, just with not so much zeal. :)

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 15, 2005 at 12:00:45 pm

Look at your first reply on this thread.

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 15, 2005 at 12:38:49 pm

...and IMO, I'd forget buying your DVD burner through them and go get a nice one. I've not seen a lot of good things with LiteOn drives, and I can say first hand their "support" for them is less-than available. ooh - just saw that it comes with SP2 installed. Boo. :)

Looks to me like a light spirited jest, and not an indication to not purchase a system. Relax bro.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 15, 2005 at 1:50:11 pm

Quote:

"I have a raptor (single) 10k rpm 36.4GB drive as my OS drive, running WinXp Pro SP2 (avoid that SP2, too :))...".

Pardon my not lightening up.

Return to posts index

Jobiwan
on Jan 22, 2005 at 5:25:07 am

Well, let me start with the whole Mac thing: Don't do it!!

Why? It would seem the new G5 is well suited to NLE.

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 22, 2005 at 5:50:03 pm

Never met a Mac I liked. :)

Andy
(Stay away from the WinXP SP2, too) ;)

Return to posts index

Jobiwan
on Feb 3, 2005 at 10:28:19 am

Perhaps it is time to put away your prejudices!

I have just had a demo of a dual processor G5 running Final Cut Pro HD, and I'd have to say I am more than just a little impressed.

It is recommended that you add another Gig of memory to the standard machine out of the box and it runs FCP no questions asked. (The guy who demo'ed it said that "it is really an insult to ship this machine with only 512 Mb".)

And the price is very competitive when compare to an equivalent spec'ed PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]