FORUMS: list search recent posts

Got a few noob Question's............

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jaybird67k
Got a few noob Question's............
on Dec 22, 2004 at 12:23:19 am

OK, I've been thinking about taking the plunge into editing for about 1 year and reading about video editing for about 2 months now on the net trying to gather all the info I can before dropping alot of cash.

My goals are to be able to make short clips of my Motocross racing of me and my buddies and edit them and burn them to 650 MB CD's.
I would also like to take alot of my A/V HI 8mm tapes and convert them to D/V and Author these into DVD's since these are mostly family media.
I will also have some SVHS tapes to convert.
I currently have a A/V HI 8 Sony but soon to purchase the Digital 8 Sony with Firewire.

I know that my PC will need alot of upgrading(Mother Board w/ firewire, P4 CPU, 1 Gig ram, dual Graphics card, a couple of 120 GB HD's) but I'll buy all the necassary parts and install them. My current PC is as follows.

MB=Gigabyte 7VTXH+
CPU=AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+ 1.7Ghz
GC= NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB
Ram= 512 MB DDR
SC= Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II
HD= Seagate 40 Gig

There is so much different NLE software and Hardware out there that it is a bit overwhelming for a new comer. I have a few questions.

#1 What makes real time editing or rendering, is it the software, hardware or a combination of both.
#2 What is the difference between a on board Capture card and a external converter like let's say the Canupos ADVC 110?
#3 What is the difference between Mpeg2, Mpeg4, ect....will I need an encoder.

The only editing I ever have done was some Dazzle stuff 5 years ago, It was old but had nice interface. I'm looking for any input I can get here.

Thanks, Jason

Return to posts index

Jobiwan
Re: Got a few noob Question's............
on Jan 1, 2005 at 7:29:45 am

bumping, because basically I have the same questions. Can anyone out there give us some feedback. We would appreciate it.

TIA.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Got a few noob Question's............
on Jan 2, 2005 at 2:27:03 am

#1 What makes real time editing or rendering, is it the software, hardware or a combination of both.

Either. Some systems use hardware to achieve real-time, others are software ands some leverage both.

#2 What is the difference between a on board Capture card and a external converter like let's say the Canupos ADVC 110?

Some capture cards are also real-time accelerators (RTX100, DV Storm). For analog to DV conversion, ADVC110 is a very good choice.

#3 What is the difference between Mpeg2, Mpeg4, ect....will I need an encoder.

MPEG2 is the format used on DVDs
MPEG4 is another format, used for streaming video and packing it into real small places (ie cell phones or a CD Rom).

Here are some pages to look at for more info:
http://www.videoguys.com/started.html

http://www.videoguys.com/DVDq&a.html

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]