FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I know if I have a firewire?

COW Forums : Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Ann
How do I know if I have a firewire?
on Dec 7, 2004 at 5:25:52 pm

I've noticed many video editing software programs require a firewire. I am using a capture card dc10 plus but am thinking of switching from Pinnacle 8 (which has for some reason stopped working) to another program. Do I need to replace the dc10 plus or will it work with other editing programs? I tried downloading ULead and Roxio and even Ã…dobe (too expensive for me) just to see with the trial versions and none of these seemed to identify my capture card. Am I doomed to stick with studio 8 (non working) If I start over what is a firewire and how do I know if I have it?

Sorry for all the questions!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: How do I know if I have a firewire?
on Dec 8, 2004 at 2:44:24 am

Firewire is a port/connection on your computer that is used to transfer data back and forth from your computer to external devices, including digital camcorders. One way to tell is to look for "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" in your My Computer Device Manager. Another way is to look it up in your computer manual. Firewire is also known as IEEE 1394.

To use the firewire port to capture video you need an analog-digital converter, the Canopus ADVC-100 and Pinnacle MovieBox DV for example.

I suggested you try the Windows Movie Maker on another thread, but since you have already tried other programs with the DC-10, it seems likely that the card uses a proprietary driver that is a part of the version of Studio that comes with the card. If so, other programs cannot be used to capture from the DC-10, and if you upgrade your software you will need a patch from Pinnacle with the driver for the upgraded software. Other programs should be able to edit the captured video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved