FORUMS: list search recent posts

New choice, possibilities and confusion..

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seaking
New choice, possibilities and confusion..
on Oct 29, 2004 at 6:27:26 am

Howdy.. I wish I had discovered this forum ages ago..

Here's my situation, hoping some of the more experienced and learned members can assist.

I currently produce video for DVD using a Canon XI vid camera which I transfer to HDD via Premiere 6.5 (registered through work), do my editing with Premiere, export to M2V format with Premiere and then author to DVD with TEMPGEnc which also burns my production DVD. I use Alcohol 120% to make an image to HDD which I then make my copies when people want their copies on DVD.

My work flow consists of transfering to HDD via motherboard FireWire, editing with Premiere, exporting the DVD compliant file, AND an MPEG1 file which I later turn to WMV for web content. Then let TEMPGEnc do the authoring and burning to DVD.

My main computer system which I had been using for video editing developped a problem where a system interupt is causing severe dropped frames every 5 minutes. Cannot trace it down, it's hardware, not OS as we reformated and started over again. So I built a new system using WinXP, SFF box, 9600XT, P4 3.2e , 1G PC400 mem, boot 120G SATA and capture to 74G Raptor SATA with a pioneer 16X dual layer DVDburner.

I plan to use the same Premiere 6.5 and TempGEnc work flow but after reading some articles in this forum, I saw the Canopus ACEDVio bundled with the Adobe packages, and then people mentioning the Matrox 100 (something) packages. One is real time, the other is not. I'm not sure what that means or not.

After having seen my work flow and process to get a video from the camera to DVD, I am sure there is something I can differently to speed things up, since 60 to transfer the original video, then exporting to M2V DVD compliant file takes a while, then authoring takes another while, and then burning the DVD (8X or 16X pioneer)it's becoming a chore. I like editing and have fun at it but keep the authoring so plain jane, I don't even use menues since there is usualy only one video on the DVD.

Well I hope I didn't come across as a babbler, it's 0330 in the morning after spending the last 5 hours transfering, editing, authorign and burning (and now validating the burn by watching it on DVD) It's time for bed.

Thanks in advance anyone who would have advice to lend..

Return to posts index

D_
Re: New choice, possibilities and confusion..
by
on Oct 29, 2004 at 8:46:55 am

I'll bet that a realtime card would help speed up your process.
If all you do is DVD then you realtime capture, edit and encoding to MPEG2 might help.

Check out the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro.

Return to posts index

Seaking
on Oct 29, 2004 at 12:10:47 pm

Thanks for the reply..

So my understanding is that currently, I am transfering my video from MiniDV to HDD via Firewire as uncompressed AVI (digital transfer of information, not a capture right?) I then need to convert that uncompressed AVI to an understandable DVD format which MPEG2 is such a format?

Is that a correct assessment? So that by investing in a Matrox system with the bundled software, I would be skipping the step I current am doing where I convert to M2V with Premiere 6.5

Is this correct? Might be worth the while seeing how on an AMD2200 system it can take up to 2 hours for that convertion..

Do you currently use such a system? I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

(I'm retired after 23 yrs military service and this is now my fun hobby =)

Return to posts index

Meyrick
on Oct 29, 2004 at 1:03:16 pm

Tahts a mighty expensive solution to a problem which is solved much more cheaply by many programs - not that that the Matrox cards aren't good.

As long as you are up near the 3 (hz or mhz?) on your processor you should be able to encode directly to MPG2. I can with a 2.8 G?hz Pentium 4 in Magix Edit Pro 2005 - though I don't bother becuase rendering is pretty quick having edited as an AVI. You may want to look at Magix, because it is incredibly cheap, and quite an astonishing deal - with 16 track editing, a battery of both audio and video fx, and audio and video cleaning filters. It also of course does capture, editing and authoring in a single programme, so there is no transferring of data between one programme and another. Certainly there are some features which both Edit Pro and Acid have, and Magix doesn't, but they are the very rarely used ones.

What may help is cutting down processor loading (before shelling out loads dosh on new software) to speed up the system. I don't know whether you have tried it, or whether I am trying ot teach my Granny, but if you are running XP, Start> Run> MSCONFIG enter. the little MSconfig window comes up. Go to the right hand pane marked startup, and disable everything (look if there is anything to do with audio and keep that checked) then go to the centre panel and disable all that lot. Reboot. You might find on reboot that some services you need don't work. just go back to MSconfig and ensure they are checked and not disabled. The point is that there is huge amount of junk running in background that you simply don't need - MS messenger and that sort of dross, and you may well find that the machine pipes information like lightning!!!!! Mine went from about a steady canter to operating at Warp9.

Oh as the thing reboots, press and keep pressing F2 until the BIOS comes up. Go to CPU, and disable multithreading if you are running XP home. Thats only for XP pro and mutliple CPUs (unless you are running pro and twin CPUs.)

When you want to set your machine back to normal after a video session just go to MSCONFIG, enable all on both panels and reboot. You can leave multithreading off.

Makes an almighty difference to the speed of the machine, and failed memory request messages etc.

As I said, I hope I'm not trying to teach my Granny.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Oct 30, 2004 at 1:32:52 am

The reason to go with a realtime card is to speed up your workflow. The Matrox RT.X100 offers several advantages over a non-realtime solution.

The X100 includes a realtime capture utility that will automatically detect when you stopped recording on your DV tape and break your video into clips. You start a capture and just walk away. During editing, the vast majority of effects are produced realtime without rendering, including color correction, which I use to match video from multiple cameras. When I've finished editing, I can perform a realtime transcode to m2v for DVD authoring.

Return to posts index

Seaking
on Oct 30, 2004 at 2:32:59 am

I have an ATI AIW 8500DV on the current machine which I use to capture.. I just recieved the new computer tonight, a screamin babe of a machine.. impressive.. waiting to get more info about Matrox system to see if I should wait and go with that or try a cheaper solition..

Return to posts index

Seaking
on Oct 30, 2004 at 12:10:42 pm

I'll have to have a look at the Magix as you mentioned, I've never heard of it. What I could find of it online reminds me more of a ULead's video editing software at first glance which, though it was OK in the day, didn't turn out to be a hot ticket item for myself and some other people as it munged some of the system files after it was installed. (can't remember the full story but you know..)

I have seen the Matrox on someone's desk at the building I work at, I know I can get "hey how ya do dat" support from him. One of the reasons I was leaning that route is also the bundling of the Adobe software. Singular software costs a heck of a lot but bundle it with the rest and wow.. Nice. I was looking at the Matrox and also the ACEDVVio Bundle.. Though I use the computer's Firewire to transfer the video, this card's analog port will come in handy.

The tricks you mentioned are good and I had applied them before on the AMD 2200 editing machine I build but there is still a 5 minute cycle interupt that I cant get rid off which trips up the transfer enough to ruin the capture. Hence why the new machine (NICE btw, fast!). I needed to replace it anyway so the new machine cost doesn't factor in this situation much.

The editing machine isn't connected to the LAN when I cap, nothing runs in the background and the virus protection is shut off as well.. there is nothing running that doesn't need to be running. I'm feeling the problem is more hard ware than OS. That's the OLD machine..

I'm loading the old Premiere 6.5 on it now to continue work but will leave my options open for other possibilities..

Return to posts index

Seaking
on Oct 30, 2004 at 12:19:13 pm

Sorry for the first reply, I just got home after a shoot and was exhausted.. and going back out shortly.. busy time of year.

You said: "The X100 includes a realtime capture utility that will automatically detect when you stopped recording on your DV tape and break your video into clips. You start a capture and just walk away. During editing, the vast majority of effects are produced realtime without rendering, including color correction, which I use to match video from multiple cameras. When I've finished editing, I can perform a realtime transcode to m2v for DVD authoring."

Real time capture utility, isn't that like using Premiere 6.5 capture video where it will stop capturing at end of video or when you click the stop button?

The real time effects sound great because most of my processing time is eaten up by having to render all the titles and wipes and fades between editing cuts..

Real time transcode: Aagin this part eats up a lot of my processing time but it's also doing my effects AND transcoding to M2V at the same time? on a 45 minute video it could take up to 2 hours on the AMD2200 system..

I did some extra research this morning on the Matrox system in question and found some interesting and disturbing info about after talking to others who have this set up.. it recommends a P4 system (not via chipsets) even though an AMD will work it might glitch. They also said it's recomending a seperate AV drive to drop the video to..

Great card they all said, well worth the money but they hadn't expected the extra money on extra hardware...

That puts me into a quandry itself as I do have limited space in this system I just built..

Now it's a tossup between the ACEDVio or Magix? I'm still exploring my possibilities..

Thanks for the info.. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Oct 30, 2004 at 7:26:22 pm

The X100 includes a standalone capture utility that will automatically start your tape, do the capture, and cut it into separate clip files, based on breaks in the timecode on the tape.

Standard editing effects, wipes, fades, and static titles require no rendering. The only titles I render are scrolling titles, and there's a trick with static titles and motion offset settings to simulate scrolling titles without rendering, but it only takes me a minute to render a normal scrolling title, so I don't bother.

While the X100 can capture and transcode directly to m2v, I don't because I want to do my editing. After I finish editing, I perform a realtime transcode to m2v and wav for DVD authoring. To do realtime transcoding, you actually need 3 hard drives, OS, AV, and export.

For any video system, you at least need a separate AV hard drive, just to avoid conflicts with OS drive access by Windows.

VIA chipsets really aren't recommended for any video editing system, as their PCI bus implementation doesn't support the sustained throughput requirements of video editing.

If you decide to build an X100 system, follow Matrox's recommendations on hardware. I have on three different systems now and haven't had any problems. I've read lots of complaints from others that haven't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]