FORUMS: list search recent posts

analog video is captured, but what about audio?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dmarr
analog video is captured, but what about audio?
on Oct 28, 2004 at 7:57:01 pm

VHS tapes to digital conversion:
Pretty fundamental question, but I was wondering...
With the VCR hooked up to a video capture card via composite cables out does the video cable (yellow) go to the video capture card and audio (red and white) go to the sound card? Or is it better to use S-video cable and run it all into the capture card? If the latter, does the video capture card capture the audio as well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: analog video is captured, but what about audio
by
on Oct 29, 2004 at 1:53:30 am

Depends on what capture device you are using. If you have a video only capture card, I wish you much luck keeping the audio and video in sync. You must run the audio through your sound card. (S-video is video only, no sound signal, so that is not an option.)

D

Return to posts index

dmarr
on Oct 30, 2004 at 3:52:02 pm

If I use a capture card it would be the Canopus ACEDVio. Would that card take care of the syncing up of audio and video or do I still need to run the sound thru the sound card?

I assume making the analoge (VHS tapes) to digital conversion through a external converter box like Pyro A/V or Canopus ADVC 100/300 would keep audio and video in sync. Correct?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 31, 2004 at 2:27:51 am

All of the above take care of keeping the audio in sync, including the ACEDVio... They convert the signal to a digital signal and then route it through the firewire port. In the case of the ACEDVio, the entire process happens on the card itself, but the basic premise is the same.

Your sound card does not play any part in the audio capture process.

D

Return to posts index

PURPOSE
on Nov 16, 2004 at 1:19:07 am

Many miniDV cameras have the capabilities of converting analogue video & audio to digital format, perhaps consider this as an option.

Although be aware that some ONLY convert the video (which I find ridiculous), I wasted many hrs trouble shooting this problem a few yrs ago!

Ash

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Nov 23, 2004 at 11:58:47 am

Purpose,

Could you tell us which camera converts only the video signal? This is the first I've heard of something like that. The make, model (and year produced) would be a great help!

Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]