FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to this, couple questions

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hashmeer
New to this, couple questions
on Oct 28, 2004 at 4:39:11 am

Hey there
Im somewhat new to this whole deal, and i had a couple questions. First off do u guys know any more sites other than this one that has alot of info on it that i could learn from?

Im using Premiere 6 and Ulead VideoStudio, i recently was capturing some video from my DV camera using premiere and kept dropping frames, so i tried VideoStudio and it seemed to not be dropping frames even tho it doesnt report them like premiere. All was fine until i went to put my clips together using premiere, when i played my movie the sounds wont work for the clips captured using Videostudio. Now under settings viewer in the settings match project and capture settings except instead of uncompressed sound it is NA. But the alot of the video stuff doesnt match, like the frame size is 360x240 instead of 720x480. How can i fix the sound id rather not go back through the tapes and try to recapture using premier w/o dropping frames, mainly cuz i dont think i will be able to do that. Also the sounds works when i view the clip seperatley in premiere just not when its played from the timeline.

I'm using a P3 1.7Ghz _ 40gig HD, not sure of speed, properties say Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller _ 768MB RAM _ ATI Radeon 9700pro. Im wondering if buying an external fast HD would be enough for my computer to cature w/o dropping frames?

Return to posts index

D_
Re: New to this, couple questions
by
on Oct 28, 2004 at 9:21:40 am

Are you working on a laptop?

You might be able to get by with an external HDD, but no guarantees. You may not have much luck with the on-board firewire card, it may be the source of your troubles. Of course, then again, it could be your hard disk. If you pop open the cover, you should be able to see the bare-naked drive and you can read the RPM right off the label. That would give you a clue as to what kind of drive you have.

I also recommend that you try downloading scenalyzer and giving that a whirl for video capture. It may give you another option for getting the video onto your machine.

Good Luck

A couple of links for you...

Digital Video Editing

Video Maker Magazine

Return to posts index

Hashmeer
on Oct 28, 2004 at 11:14:33 pm

No i have a Dell Desktop. It didnt come with a Firewire Port so i had to buy one but it was awhile ago and i dont remember what kind it is. All it says in sys devices is PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.
Checked out my HD RPD, its 7200. I dl'ed scenalyzer but havnt got a chance to try it, sounds good from reading the info on the site about it tho.
So no idea why the sound from the video i captured w/ Ulead wont work when played from the timeline in premiere?

Thanks for the links and help.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 29, 2004 at 1:56:53 am

I highly recommend that you run, don't walk, and get an ADS Pyro 1394 Firewire card (or other high quality, video approved card).

I am not familiar with Premiere, so any advice I give you is based solely on my personal experience. Granted, that is the root of my recommending you try scenalyzer and upgrading your firewire card!

It might be as simple as changing some setting in Premiere!

Anyone have any ideas?

D

Return to posts index

Hashmeer
on Oct 29, 2004 at 2:48:30 am

Ha ok sounds like ive got something to start looking into. Thanks for the help. Ill go find a premiere specific forum to find out about my prob.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 29, 2004 at 8:34:29 am

I forgot to ask you,

Do the clips that you captured in VideoStudio play correctly in VideoStudio? How about in Microsoft's Media Player?

Return to posts index

Hashmeer
on Oct 29, 2004 at 9:52:16 pm

Yea they work in both.

Return to posts index

Hashmeer
on Oct 30, 2004 at 12:25:53 am

Got it figured out, apparently Videostudio captures Type 1 AVI's and premiere uses type 2. I downloaded a converter from the ulead website and now i got sound when editing using premiere. I dont know what the differences are between the 2 types but premiere doesnt like type 1.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 30, 2004 at 2:08:39 am

And now I get to add your knowledge to my bag of tricks! Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

Note to self: Don't offer advice without first determining the real problem...
<Grin>

Dylan

Return to posts index

Carson Ray
on Oct 31, 2004 at 8:29:08 am

Hi guys:

Just read thru your posts & woes, & learned some things, too!
Thanks!

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/dvavi.mspx

Carson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]