FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS -> DVDRecorder -> Video editor: formats?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dmarr
VHS -> DVDRecorder -> Video editor: formats?
on Oct 17, 2004 at 5:46:40 pm

I have hours of family video on VHS. Would like to convert to digital then edit using Pinnacle (or equivalent) on a WinXP PC.

If we hook up our VHS tape deck to a DVD Recorder (part of home theater system) and copy the tapes on to DVD's, will the video editing software be able to read/edit the DVD-R file directly or do I have to go through an additional conversion process? If the latter, is it easier to just get a good tuner card and hook up the VHS tape deck directly? Thanks.
-- Doug.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: VHS -> DVDRecorder -> Video editor: form
on Oct 18, 2004 at 11:31:47 am

Yes, the .vob files created when a DVD-R is "authored" with a set top recorder or computer DVD burner can be edited in some programs. I am familiar with Ulead products only. Ulead's programs convert the .vob files to mpeg 2 files when the video is imported into the video editing/DVD authoring program. The process is lossless and fairly fast. I think MyDVD also has a similar capability, but I am not sure.

Are you dissatisified with your set top recorder's editing capabilities? Using it would be the easiest and least expensive way to create DVD's. If you want to do your editing on a computer, I would recommend getting a good hardware Mpeg encoder to digitize your video to go along with the computer DVD burner and the software. I have the Snazzi III USB 2.0 hardware encoder, which uses the same encoder chipset that is in the Tivo II. Adaptec's VideOh! DVD uses the same encoder. ADS Tech's Instant DVD Express and Instant DVD 2.0 seem to be highly regarded, too.

I know the Videoguys are oriented towards advanced/professional video editing, but I think they would do well by offering a bundle of say the latest Pioneer DVD burner with a good Mpeg encoder and software suitable for entry-level video editing.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 18, 2004 at 12:13:43 pm

If you burn to DVD you will be limited to the amount of video you can store on one DVD. If you capture directly to your computer, you are limited only by the amount of hard disk space you have free.

As KDaves mentioned, you will be able to edit the product created from either process.

How advanced a product are you planning to produce?

D

Return to posts index

dmarr
on Oct 18, 2004 at 9:04:37 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful.

My ultimate goal is a 1 hour DVD for each kid ... extracted from 42 hours of VHS tapes. I didn't think a set top box would work for that much editing. My quandry was whether to spend the money on a set top recorder then edit the DVD's in a video editing program or buy a converter (or capture card?) then edit from the hard drive. First I wanted to know whether the first option was even viable.

--Doug

Return to posts index

dmarr
on Oct 18, 2004 at 9:08:03 pm

Yeah, good point.

As far as 'advanced' goes: this is strictly for the family group; nothing commercial. However, I don't like to do things half-assed either. So I'll want indexes, transitions ... some amount of voice over narration especially where individual snap shots (as opposed to video) are inserted. From what I've read, Ulead/Pinnacle/Roxio can handle all of that.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Oct 19, 2004 at 12:16:50 am

Go with the computer. From your description, I think that one of the analog-to-DV converters or an equivalent capture card would suit you more than a Mpeg encoder.

If you go this route, you will need the capture device, a DVD burner, and (almost certainly) a second hard drive for storing a the video files. You should take a look at your computer to see if you have enough memory (at least 512MB), and an adequate power supply and cooling system.

Return to posts index

dmarr
on Oct 19, 2004 at 8:27:03 pm

Thanks. I think I'm OK on the computer front: 3.6 Ghz P4 running WinXP Pro, 1 gig RAM, 250 GB harddrive (2 SATA drives of 125 each).

This forum seems to taut the Canopus ADVC100/300 for analog to digital conversion. (I think it needs a firewire port, but I assume I can get an external firewire port.) If you don't mind me asking, are there significant tradeoffs between that and a capture card?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Oct 20, 2004 at 12:45:02 am

Yes, your computer looks like it can handle the job, but most people would still recommend a dedicated video drive for editing.

You will need a fire wire port to use the ADVC-100 or any similar product. If you don't have one, have a look at this-

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ACEDVio/pt_ACEDVio.asp

or, as an alternative to the ADVC-100-

http://www.adstech.com/products/API_550/intro/api550intro.asp?pid=API-550

Both feature audio-video sync, which, believe you me, is a good thing.

Mind you, I don't own either one, so I can't definitively say which is better or even if either is better to other competitors.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 20, 2004 at 9:46:33 pm

Do you have a MiniDV camera? If you do, you can run the analog signal through your camera and into a firewire port.

And I included Kdaves links as hyperlinks for one-step clicking...

ADS PYro. External Analog conversion box, requires firewire card.

Canopus ACEDVio. PCI card with analog and firewire ports. (No additional firewire card needed-this one does it all!)

Return to posts index

dmarr
on Oct 22, 2004 at 2:40:59 pm

Alas, no MiniDV camera. Thanks for the info and links.

Return to posts index

dmarr
on Oct 28, 2004 at 7:52:31 pm

One last question on this: besides being able to output to analog if I want, what can the (1) external analog-digital conversion box + firewire card combo do that the (2) ACEDVio PCI card can't do? Seems like (1) is more expensive and puts more "stuff" outside the box. Thanks.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 29, 2004 at 1:52:01 am

Disclaimer, I do not own either of these products. Have not used them. And don't know anyone who has. But I have been shopping around just like you and this is what I found...

You can put the (ADVC-100 or ADS Pyro) external box on top of your desk where you can plug stuff in without having to reach around to the back of your machine. They also have separate ports for composite video, S-video, (ADS Pyro even has component video ports), and DV--on the front and back of the unit. Input/output ports are separate if you ever plan to output to an analog device, this is convenient since you can leave that device plugged in all the time. External devices are also portable between systems if you have more than one machine that you plan to do video on.

The internal card saves desk space with no clutter of an external box. You can pull cables to the top of your work area to keep from having to crawl behind the machine every time. Unless you have S-video and composite video--the composite video is input using a Y-cord. The specs state RCA stero audio inputs. I am not familiar with Stereo RCA, so that might be a misprint. Looks like Stereo 3.5 jacks. So if you are using RCA cords, you probably need to use an RCA-to-3.5 converter cord to get audio into your machine (Not listed in the package contents...)

The external boxes require a power supply, so you need to a free outlet. The internal card runs off your computer's bus power.

The Software bundles are different and could be the determining factor if want to get Premiere or Vegas.

I would probably get the external box + DV card.

I hope this helps. You may want to visit the forums for each of these products to see what kinds of trouble actual users are having.

ADS Pyro Forum

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]