FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDD Need help badly

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony012185
HDD Need help badly
on Sep 28, 2004 at 7:37:51 pm

Ello I'm new here, I just wanna ask what is the best configuration for 3 hard drive setup (adobe premiere 6.5)? My current configuration is:

IDE 1
Master= 80gb System Drive (partition 30gb system, 50sound drive)
Slave= 120gb Export Drive and other Video animations like company logos, background animations and set as video preview files (render files)scratch disk in adobe premiere

IDE 2
Master= 160gb Video Capture Drive
Slave= DVD Burner

when i put a hard drive as master with a CDRW or DVDROM as slave then I slow the hard drive down to the speed of the CD drives (ATA 60)? so my 160gb is running now at ATA60? any other recommendation? thanks!

Return to posts index

D_
Re: HDD Need help badly
by
on Sep 29, 2004 at 12:50:38 pm

I'm hardly a drive expert, just merely a user who has played with hard drive positioning, so take my advice with a big grain of salt.

If you only have two channels, I recommend placing the DVD drive on the same channel as the system drive or at least on a different channel than your Main video drive.

Although less than optimal because it places your two video drives on one channel, it will give you full speed access to your video drives.

However, if your drive really is reverting back to ATA60--even at ATA 60 speeds you still have enough bandwith for Video.

I don't think you will notice a significant difference in actual operation either way.

I hope this helps.

Dylan

Return to posts index

anthony012185
on Sep 29, 2004 at 8:11:09 pm

I heard that the motherboard talks to IDE channel one device at a time so if im goin to combine the main video drive and export drive it will take more time to export video?

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Sep 30, 2004 at 12:50:25 pm

Yes, I read somewhere that it does slow down the drive. But for practical purposes, I did not notice anything significant. It appeared to run faster with the CD drive on the system channel and the video drives on their own channel, but your mileage may vary.

You can try the same test that I ran. I just experimented with the drive setups (Shut down the system between cable changes!) watched and timed carefully during rendering and other drive intesive operations and then noted the difference.

D

P.S. I now run two 160GB drives on separate channels in a striped RAID array. The system, support drives, and optical drive share the remaining two channels. (System holds 6 drives total).

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]