FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfer 8mm reels to vhs or dvd

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
captainamerica77
transfer 8mm reels to vhs or dvd
on Sep 15, 2004 at 5:54:01 pm

is there any equipment to buy that can do this or do you just use the projector and a dv camera?

also looking for stuff to recondition the film.

I have ALOT of it to process I searched online and could only find companies that do this.

thanks

Return to posts index

obioneballi
Re: transfer 8mm reels to vhs or dvd
on Sep 17, 2004 at 11:34:20 am

Hey there

I'm not looking to sell you anything <g> but I actually process 8mm/Super 8 film using some unique equipment. You have severeal options, so it's really about what you want for quality, and what you want to spend...

Project & Rec : You can setup your projector in a dark room and attempt to capture your film using your MiniDV (Or whatever) camcorder. If you have a 3CCD camera, you'll certainly get better results. The only trouble with this method is you get that "flicker" because the frame rate is different (18 or 24fps as opposed to 30fps video).

eBay Projector & Rec: There are some listings on eBay every so often that have a modified projector... Someone has modified the shutter blades (usually adding) to help reduce the flicker. You're still point and shooting, but you may have a better quality transfer. These modified projectors go for anywhere between $200-$300.

Pro Grade Gear & Camera: I have a unique system from a company in TX (I think) which has taken a projector, refurbed it and reworked it to literally work with a computer. The machine projects the film onto a lens which passes over to my 3CCD camera. The camera is connected via iLink, and the projector is fitted with an RCA connection that plugs into this modified mouse (I know this all sounds nutty).

The projector then advances the film one frame at a time, and tells the mouse to "click" or capture (using special software) as each frame is moved into position. The process is timely, but the end result is amazing. The pictures are then compiled into one AVI file and you can then apply the proper frame rate for playback speed (18 or 24fps). This won't work with a standard video camera - you really need a pro-level 3CCD camera to get the best picture. This unit runs for $1495.00, $70 for the software and then whatever you spend for a 3CCD camera ($1500 used - $5000 new)

Transfer Services: There are hundreds of online film transfer services, all offering severeal varieties of what I listed above... Ranging from $.10/ft to $.30/ft - again, quality versus price... I charge around $.20/ft for FBF transfers.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

captainamerica77
THANKS alot
on Sep 18, 2004 at 5:29:39 am

I am also needing the film cleaned and lubircated is this something I can do myself? If I get the supplies?

Return to posts index

obioneballi
Re: THANKS alot
on Sep 18, 2004 at 11:52:14 am

Hey

There is a special anti-static film cleaning solution I use on all customers films (who request cleaning) called Rexton Film Cleaner. It's a professional grade product, and can be bought in 4oz and larger sizes. I typically set up reels to be cleaned on another variable speed projector or film editor (also available on ebay) and apply a small amount of cleaner to a 2" x 2" bit of soft cotton cloth - enough to get it damp/mildly wet.

I then run the film from one reel to another, and using my thumb and index finger, I squeeze the film between and allow it to be wound up on the take up reel. You'll notice once you are finished the first trip, you have a lot of rusty looking nasty stuff on the cloth. This is grime and whatnot - he film is fine. I then run the film back to it's original reel and repeat the process with the other side of the cloth (or new one if it's really nasty). Additional solution may be applied, but only use enough to dampen the cloth. For longer or really nasty films, you may need to repeat the process. This cleans and lubricates the film, and restores a lot of film to what looks like new (hey, it's usually 25-45 years old!)

So yes, this is something you can do yourself, and if you choose to have it done, make sure whomever you go with you ask HOW they clean the film before sending it off!

http://www.pfile.com/index.html

These guys sell the stuff. There are many other cleaners out there - they all do about the same thing. Hope that helps.

Andy

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: THANKS alot
on Sep 19, 2004 at 3:00:56 am

A couple of tricks to try:

First, put a neutral density filter on your camcorder. This will slow the effective shutter speed down and help eliminate the flicker.

Second, if your projector has a speed adjustment, try to speed the film up to 30 fps to match the frame rate of your camcorder. Then adjust the frame rate back down in your video editing application.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]