FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Capture vs, MPEG2 Capture.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan C
DV Capture vs, MPEG2 Capture.
on Jan 15, 2004 at 11:28:09 pm

Which is better to capture analog footage; a card that will encode it to DV or one that will encode it straight to MPEG2? If the final result is to do some editing and then burn to DVD which format is better? Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: DV Capture vs, MPEG2 Capture.
on Jan 16, 2004 at 4:45:47 am

You can edit DV formatted video, but can't edit MPEG2 IBP (DVD) format, although an MPEG2 IBP plugin is supposed to be in the works for Premiere. For now, stick with DV.

Return to posts index

Goodspeed
on Feb 22, 2004 at 7:15:13 am

I use Ulead Media Studio Pro for my video work and it captures and edits in MPEG2 format with no problems. (Firewire and Analog).

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 23, 2004 at 3:46:06 am

There's MPEG2, and then there's MPEG2, i.e. there's more than one MPEG2 video format. DV is actually one type of MPEG2 format with a fixed compression scheme at 25 Mb/sec. MPEG2 for editing is another, typically referred to as I-frame format. Then there's DVCPRO at 50 Mb/sec. DVD's require a higher compression rate than MPEG2 I-frame or DV can achieve, so a variable compression scheme (MPEG2 IBP format) was developed that would change the compression based on the amount of change in the video. As the compression scheme varies during the video, editing programs can't handle this type of video ... yet.

I'd still recommend capturing in DV, doing your editing, and then exporting the MPEG2 IBP video for DVD authoring.

Return to posts index

andrewmuir
on May 11, 2004 at 6:31:23 pm

Let me broaden the question. Given DV input is it better to capture to AVI (which is what Adobe does and also Windows Movie Maker) and then convert to the appropriate MPEG or to use Ulead Video to capture directly to MPG 2?

Andrew

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 12, 2004 at 4:00:59 am

Theoretically MPEG2 I-frame is better than DV, but I've never been able to see the difference. I think it only becomes visibly noticeable after several repetitions of encoding/re-encoding. In normal practice, no one edits the same video and repetitively re-encodes the output. If you need to re-edit a video, you'll either re-capture or start from the original captured video.

Since I have a Matrox RT.X100, I capture to DV, do my editing in Premiere, and export MPEG2 IBP for DVD authoring.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]