FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Way To Use An External Hard Drive

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Daves
Best Way To Use An External Hard Drive
on Aug 15, 2004 at 12:43:43 pm

What is the best set up for using an external fire wire drive for video editing? I ask this because I was unable to export a finished DV project from an external drive to a camcorder connected to the external hard drive.

Although the computer I was using was not exactly optimal (integrated graphics and only one internal hard drive) for video editing, I had no trouble capturing the video to the internal hard drive (forgot to set my working file to the external drive) and outputting the finished project to the external drive. However, when tried to export the finished DV back to the camcorder, the computer froze and would not copy the file to the camcorder. This happened three times. Finally, I was able to export the DV to the camcorder by first writing the DV file to the internal drive and then exporting it.

I do not believe the fire wire drive is defective because I was able to output the DV to it three times with no problems. Also, I had no problems writing to and from the internal hard drive and camcorder.

The set up I used was as follows-

Sony Vaio, P4 2.8GHZ, integrated graphics, 1GB PC2700 RAM, 120GB hard drive partitioned into to two drives with 95GB free space, 80GB Acom Data Fire Wire Drive (7200RPM, 8MB Cache), Canon ZR40 camcorder. Upgrading the computer is not possible.

BTW, I was using Video Studio 8 for the editing.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Best Way To Use An External Hard Drive
by
on Aug 18, 2004 at 1:32:24 pm

Have you tried using the drive with USB 2.0? Sounds like your Firewire port is having a conflict between the drive and the camera.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 20, 2004 at 10:11:18 am

I didn't think to try that. Because I was able to use the internal drive to output the video, I was happy just to get the video back on tape.

What bothers me is that people have been using external drives with camcorders for years now. So what was I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 21, 2004 at 3:21:17 pm

Does this mean it worked using USB?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 21, 2004 at 5:42:29 pm

No, I didn't try using the USB. I was able to capture using fire wire, although I forgot to set my working folder to the external drive and actually captured to the internal drive. I was able to output the edited video over fire wire to the external drive. My problem occurred when I tried to export the finished video from the external drive to the camcorder which was attached to it. The system simply froze. After several failed attempts this way, I output the edited video to my internal drive and then exported it to the camcorder with no problem.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 24, 2004 at 12:07:15 am

Let me know if you can make it work as a USB drive directly to your camera.

Sure sounds like a firewire device conflict. Obviously each individual component works properly. Would be nice if you had an extra PYRO card to see if your present 1394 card was the bottleneck.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 24, 2004 at 1:54:28 am

Thanks for the advice. It will be some time before I have more video to edit, and I am not allowed to even open this computer after I killed my actual editing machine in March. I had decided to test the thing out by re-capturing the raw video to my external and outputting the finished video to my internal drive. I will try the USB 2 too when I get the time.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 24, 2004 at 12:32:45 pm

Killed? Dead? How did you manage that? Hope you find some time...

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 25, 2004 at 1:09:49 am

I had a hard drive go bad. While re-loading Windows on a new hard drive, two power flops damaged the modem and/or the motherboard and RAM. While testing the RAM I damaged the motherboard for good. Completely dead.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 25, 2004 at 12:21:44 pm

Ouch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]