FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics accelerator card vs video editing card?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
XwayneXmillerX
Graphics accelerator card vs video editing card?
on Aug 14, 2004 at 4:31:58 am

Why do I need a video editing card if I have a good Graphics accelerator card w/ video in & out?

Return to posts index

mpmerch
Re: Graphics accelerator card vs video editing car
on Aug 17, 2004 at 9:36:10 am

It's almost the same question I posted before...guys please try to help here.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 17, 2004 at 10:03:05 pm

If you are satisfied with the quality of the AGP card’s video capture and do not plan on any advanced video editing, then you do not need a separate “video editing card”. However, the AGP cards with video-in are designed to capture video as Mpeg, and Mpeg is not suitable for advanced video editing.

Return to posts index

mpmerch
on Aug 20, 2004 at 5:23:02 am

tnx, kdaves but there are some AGP cards that capture video as avi files...well thats according to some that I have read before.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 20, 2004 at 10:05:04 am

Yes, there are. The ones I have seen were originally designed to capture variations of MJPEG, which does not work with XP and Windows 2000. To capture .avi with them on Direct Show machines, you must capture using "uncompressed" .avi with a data rate of about 10 Mbytes/sec for a 320 x 240 resolution. I do not remember for sure, but webcam quality codecs may have also been an option. I know that ATI recommended switching from their MJPEG codec ("VCR-1", if I remember correctly)to Mpeg. This software compression did not work well for me with 1.2 and 1.33 AMD processors. It may work better now with faster processors, for all I know.

Do you know of any AGP cards that capture .avi that has a more manageable data rate? I do understand that there are codecs for sale on the web that will work with Direct Show, but I do no know anything about them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]