FORUMS: list search recent posts

What I have / What I want to do...

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SlotCarRacer.com
What I have / What I want to do...
on Aug 4, 2004 at 6:04:50 pm

Hello,

I'm at the point of buying a new computer and want to get the best deal for less than $2000.

What I have: Pinnacle DV200 card w/ Adobe Premiere 6 w/ Total Training DVD's and a 2000 Dell XPS P3/733/40+100GB HD's. I haven't used this system for editing because it just doesn't have the power.

What I want to do - make home videos, mild wedding videos, slot car racing videos and stuff like that.

Here's what I'm looking at:

...Computer with P4 3.2/1GB/XPPro/200gb HD/nVidia5200 card (TigerDirect and MicroCenter have some units like this for $1200) and probably get a Pioneer DVD writer from VideoGuys seperate. I'll probably use this computer for video editing and digital photo editing only and use the Dell for general use.

Question 1 - any comments on TigerDirect Vision computers or MicroCenter computers?

Question 2 - should I keep the Premiere6 software or get the Avid Xpress DV outfit from VideoGuys?

Any other suggestions?

Charlie

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: What I have / What I want to do...
on Aug 5, 2004 at 1:40:15 pm

As far as your new computer goes, it's not the brand or builder that is as important anymore. it's the motherboard & chipset that counts most. Make sure you avoid integrated graphics. Some VIA & Nvidia chipsets are difficult for video. Not sure what Tiger uses.

Check out our recommended systems page for more details http://www.videoguys.com/system.htm

The new $200 rebate on Xpress Dv is hard to resist. You'll be stepping up to the industry standard for NLE. Learning Avid is a very good choice for anyone serious about video editing. There is a clear upgrade path for you down the road to Xpress pro, Mojo , Xpress Studio and beyond. http://www.videoguys.com/XpressDV.html

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

SlotCarRacer.com
on Aug 6, 2004 at 5:37:45 pm

what about this refurbished Dell unit?

Minitower case
(Five slot/six bay tower with one 8X AGP and four PCI slots; four externally accessible drive bays and two internal drive bays)
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz CPU
(800MHz bus speed, 1MB L3 cache)
2GB PC2700 dual channel DDR SDRAM
(4 x 512MB DIMMs - upgradable to 4GB)
80GB 7200 RPM Ultra DMA/100 hard drive
3½" 1.44MB floppy drive
16x DVD-ROM
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 dual monitor 64MB DDR AGP video card w/analog outputs
Integrated AC '97 audio
Integrated Intel PRO/1000 MT 10/100/1000 ethernet adapter
Integrated dual channel Serial ATA controller
Intel 875P chipset
Enhanced performance USB internet keyboard with integrated two port USB hub
Logitech MX-500 USB optical scroll mouse
Includes Microsoft Windows XP Professional and all the original accessories, cables, documentation, packaging, software, etc.
For even more detailed specifications, check out Dell's spec sheet.
Refurbished, 90 day warranty

thanks,

Charlie

Return to posts index

Sirknockalot
on Aug 9, 2004 at 5:08:39 am

In my opinion, pass on the dell. They make it a little more difficult for upgrades in the future. If you have the time and patience, then I would suggest you build your own. I would definitely recommend buying software and such for video editing from videoguys. When it comes to hardware upgrades such as more ram or a DVD burner, check out http://www.newegg.com Their service, prices, and user reviews are unbeatable. Check out the system recommendations on videoguys about storage. 1 hour of video is approx 13GB, then you have to convert that to MPEG2 and have room for that. I have an 80GB hard drive and find myself always wanting to get raid and more harddrives.

P4 2.8 Ghz HT
512 MB Corsair PC3200
80GB IBM Deskstar 7200rpm
Radeon All-in-Wonder
Onboard 1394
Sony DCR-HC30
Premiere 6

Return to posts index

SlotCarRacer.com
on Aug 11, 2004 at 4:36:23 am

Sirknockalot,

Thanks for the advice. At this time I don't really have the time to build a computer, although I would like to give it a try sometime - maybe a dual-Xeon unit when the VideoGuys build that one.
So, I bought the Dell computer for $1200 + $36 for shipping. I'll probably order the Avid Xpress DV software next week and then the Pioneer A07 after I receive the computer.
Hopefully I can get some stuff going and let everyone know how it turns out.
Thanks for the response and help.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 11, 2004 at 11:03:04 am

Pardon me for sticking my nose in here, but do you know anything about the power supply and cooling system on the Dell?

Return to posts index

SlotCarRacer.com
on Aug 20, 2004 at 8:37:36 pm

Just saw this response - I have the Dell now and I believe it has a 305 watt PS and a heatsink with a couple of copper tubes in there. I thought those tubes looked kinda funny - like they might be used for liquid cooling. Is that possible?

The unit came in a Dell box and says refurbished by Dell and has a new keyboard and mouse and new XP Pro in sealed wrapper. Everything looks great, although I haven't fired the unit up yet.

Charlie

Charlie

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 21, 2004 at 12:55:16 am

Things change so fast at Dell that I could not check my memory, but, as I remember it, just a few weeks ago Dell was offering the XPS model with a 500W power supply and 8120(?) with a 250W power supply, If you do have the liquid cooling, I would bet you also have sufficient power to do what you want to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]