FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone Advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wahoofilm
Microphone Advice
on Aug 4, 2004 at 3:38:15 am

I'm looking for one all-purpose, relatively inexpensive microphone to use with a miniDV camera for shooting shorts and documentaries.

Is a shotgun mic the way to go? I feel like it can be used just as easily for dialogue in shorts as real time action I encounter in documentary type filmmaking.

I'm looking at something like the Azden SGM-X or SGM-1X (or similar price range of $100-$150). I've had a hard time understanding all the specs but am trying to do my research on it. Can anyone give me some plain-english advice? Like what is the actual difference between these two Azden mics? And what is the battery life like?

Any other recommendations? Other types of microphones? Things learned from experience?

Thanks in advance,
-Brock

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Microphone Advice
by
on Aug 4, 2004 at 11:02:15 am

This reply probably won't help you much, but I am looking for mics just like you mentioned.

The shotgun mic idea intrigues me, but after much searching, I realized they are all mono, and the sound is going to be less than perfect.

Looking for a stereo mic that is highly directional. Will let you know if I find the perfect item...

Return to posts index

wahoofilm
on Aug 4, 2004 at 12:12:17 pm

Thanks for your help. That's a worthy consideration. I'm not sure if I would need stereo or not.

Nonetheless, let me know what you find.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 5, 2004 at 1:32:27 pm

The Azden shotgun mics are excellent. They focus the audio pick-up range. This narrower area minimizes background noise, camera noise, operator noise and side noise. It also gives you better qulaity audio of the sound that is in front of you, by minimizing the sounds around your subject.

The more expensive SGM mics have a longer and narrower pick-up range.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

salaryav
on Sep 1, 2004 at 2:56:20 pm

I have just started using an Azden shotgun sgm1x. It is an ok mic but has slightly more self noise than other shotguns in a higher price range. Also, it does pickup a little more ambience than I would have hoped for and not as tight of a pickup. Other mics to consider are Audio Technica 835b, their new 897, and of course the workhorse of indie fims the Sennheiser ME66 combo. Again this is from personal experience. Also, consider a lav mic for shots where a boom is tough to work with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]