FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to find Tripods for Camera

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Kwak
Where to find Tripods for Camera
on Jul 24, 2004 at 8:18:05 pm

I am looking for a light, yet strong tripod for a digital camcorder.
Any recommendations?

The camera is a Sony DVR-TR520 model.

BTW, it seems as if the same tripod can be used for both my digital camera and camcorder because the hole appears the same size. Hope it does!

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Where to find Tripods for Camera
by
on Jul 25, 2004 at 11:09:05 am

The hole is the same size. If you look closely, on your video camera you will see a small alignment hole next to the tripod socket. You will not see such a hole on your still camera. Any decent video tripod will have a spring-loaded tab that will fit into this socket. When you use your still camera, the tab will just be pressed down.

Get a tripod that suits your shooting style.

I like the Velbon CX-444 for its compact carrying size and light weight.

Return to posts index

Kevin Kwak
on Jul 25, 2004 at 5:50:19 pm

Hey D_,

I am rather new in this field. Would I need to visit a local camera store to get an idea of a tripod or something else? I like to pick a used tripod on eBay that will fit both my camcorder and camera.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 27, 2004 at 3:03:23 pm

OK, I'll try to help you get to a decision point. You should probably check out a well-stocked camera store if one is nearby. If you know nothing about tripods, you will probably be happy with whatever you find. After you use it for a while, you will figure out which features are most important to you and you can get a better tripod at that point.

I am somewhat of a tripod junkie. I have tripods to fit almost every occasion. The one I recommended above is my all-rounder favorite. It is not the best in any category, but it gets the job done, is light, and collapses to a compact size. I travel a lot with my cameras, so weight and size were the primary motivation for my latest purchase.

DO NOT purchase the kind of tripod that has the click-out extenda-leg. you know the kind that use only spring tension to keep the legs extended. Make sure there is either a screw-down lock or a snap-down lock for each of the leg extensions.

You may want quick-release for the tripod head. A fluid head will give you smoother pans if you so desire. For comfortable shooting, make sure the head will reach your desired height. For the best stability, do not fully extend every leg or head extension... so look for a tripod that is a little larger than what you plan to use.

Make sure the head is well supported. If you get an inexpensive plastic head, try to get one that is supported on two sides.

And after you have looked around, it all comes down to price...

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 3, 2004 at 12:09:09 pm

Clarification on the above Tripod recommendation: The velbon CX-444 is a "light-weight" tripod. It is not geared for video. I like it for its small, compact size. It is not a good tripod for doing tilts or pans. But it is a good price for a an easy to carry item that will keep your cam steady most of the time...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]