FORUMS: list search recent posts

analog to digital video conversion

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SteveGeorge
analog to digital video conversion
on Jun 30, 2004 at 10:59:39 pm

The conversion of analog (VHS, or old Camcorder tapes) to digital video has been discussed in this forum, and of the products in my price range two devices stand out Canopus ACDV 100, and ADS Tech Pyro Link AV. Various authors seem to give Canopus the edge in video quality because of Canopus’s codec. Another method to obtain the digital video is to record the video to the digital camcorder and then download to PC through the firewire. I am wondering about the difference(s) in video quality obtained using the last method and the aforementioned devices.

I presume that the conversion using the digital video camera is all done in hardware, and supposedly that method might be better than methods involving a software codec. What are the real advantages to using external boxes such as the AVDV 100, or Pyro Link AV for analog to digital conversion.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: analog to digital video conversion
on Jul 2, 2004 at 2:23:51 pm

You will require some kind of hardware to get analog video into your computer. Int he old dayts before DV we called them video capture cards. They would encode the analog signal into an avi file.

Today firewire is everywhere. If you have a DV camcorder and FireWire just transfer the video footage directly to your hard drvie. There is no compression involved at all. it is just copied over.

If you need to capture analog video, you need hardware to do it. The easiest and best solution for many is an AV/DV converter box. The analog video in compressed into DV on the fly as directly to your hard drive. Now you have a wide range of NLE choices for actually editing the footage.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Jul 8, 2004 at 2:55:00 pm

Using a DV video camera does not entail first copying the tape to the video camera, you merely use the video camera as analog to digital converter, no tape needed.

The other methods: external and internal cards, are the same process--an analog signal is converted to a digital signal and fed to your computer so that it can record it on your hard drives. The Canopus codec is just another format for your hard disk, it is not a software vs. hardware issue.

I agree with Gary that the Canopus solution is a sweet product. DV and Analog with none of the compatibility problems of straight analog!

However, I purchased a second camera instead. I use the second DV camcorder almost exclusively as a DV/analog analog/DV converter, but I can unplug it from the computer to go do multi-cam shoots. Very convenient!

D

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jul 9, 2004 at 9:00:33 pm

Let me jump in here, too....

what is the best way to get analog video to the computer:

1. Run analog from the camera through a Capture card

2. Run analog into a DV camera and THEN firewire to the computer

????????

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jul 9, 2004 at 9:03:58 pm

Let me jump in here, too....

what is the best way to get analog video to the computer:

1. Run analog from the camera through a Capture card

2. Run analog into a DV camera and THEN firewire to the computer

????????

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jul 9, 2004 at 11:17:45 pm

If your computer has firewire tthen the easiest way to get analog into it is with a converter box like ADVC100, MovieBox or AV Link. All video is encoded into DV by these devices. It is then very easy to edit and work with. You will require 13GB per our.

If you want more then just analog & DV I/O, a real-time card like the Matrox RTX100 delivers a whole set of additional performance and features.

The Canopuis ACEDVio is a very clever card. It's an OHCI FireWire card that has an ACDV100 built right into it. So it gives you both analog & DV!

I don;t like using my camcorder as a media converter. These devices are pretty cheap, and I'd rather save any potentiual wear & tear to my camcorder.

GAry

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

George Hinkle
on Aug 3, 2004 at 12:57:44 am

Which camera are you using for AV/DV conversion?

Jake

Return to posts index

Gram
by
on Aug 18, 2004 at 6:12:15 pm

Will a Sony DCR-TRV 460 Digital8 camcorder, firewired to a Mac G4 PowerBook w/ DVD burner SuperDrive and OSX 10.3 plus iMovie or Final Cut Express do a good analog to digital conversion of some analog Hi8 tapes, previously recordered on a Sony CCD-TR101 Sony Hi8 camcorder that is broken and unusable?

Will this set up work with a Mac? Will the TRV 460 Digital8 camera provide a true Hi8 playback of the Hi8 tapes retaining their full resolution for the digital conversion or will they play back merely at 8mm resolution.

If that is the case would it be better then to purchase a used Sony TR101 (the model Hi8 camcorder that the tapes were originally recorded on), or a newer model Hi8 such as Sony TRV328 and feed that through the Canopus ADVC 300 converter and fire wire that into the Mac PowerBook?

Is the resolution of these two cameras fairly similar? Would there be any thing gained by using one versus the other?

Bottom line is I want to retain as much of the original quality and resolution of the original Hi8 tapes as possible in the course of the analog to digital conversion and burn to DVDs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The rest of the posts have been very informative. I just have the "wild card of the Mac PowerBook added in and need to confirm that the suggestions geared towards PC users will work with the Mac OS X as well.

Thanks

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 18, 2004 at 11:24:52 pm

Jake,

I am using a Sony PC-9.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 18, 2004 at 11:26:23 pm

I would expect the quality to be the same on either camera.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 19, 2004 at 3:24:56 am

It would be news to me if a Digital 8 could playback an analog 8 tape and digitize it at the same time.

Return to posts index

Gram
by
on Aug 23, 2004 at 10:34:02 am

Apparently the sales person had it wrong about the Sony Digital8 TRV 460 camcorder's supposed ability to playback and convert the Hi8 analog tapes all at once. So with that being the case, that you need one piece of equipment to playback the analog Hi8 tapes and then input that into an analog to digital converter ( say the Canopus ADVC 300) and then firewire that into the Mac G4 PowerBook with DVD burner, OS X10.3, iMovie, Final Cut Express, & Toast 6 for editing and DVD burning.

Does this sound like a set up that will work? The question is then, what to use for the playback of the analog Hi8 tapes. The Sony CCD-TR101 Hi8 analog camcorder that they were originally recorded on is broken and unusable.

So would it be best to purchase a used TR101 Hi8 analog camera, or get a new Sony Digital8 camcorder like the DCR-TRV460 which is said to be able to playback analog Hi8 tapes.

Normally I would opt for the new camera, but I've been hearing and reading that the picture quality isn't very good when a Digital8 camcorder is used to playback an analog Hi8 tape. There is said to be noise and frame drop out, etc.

Since getting the best quality signal off of the analog Hi8 tapes is a high priority, what would be the best piece of equipment to use for the playback? An analog Hi8 camcorder, a Digital 8 camcorder, or perhaps even an analog Hi8 playback deck.

Thanks,
Gram

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 23, 2004 at 10:51:23 am

How does it look when you play it?

Return to posts index

Gram
by
on Aug 23, 2004 at 11:02:37 pm

Don't know haven't bought the playback device yet. That was the question that I'm trying to get answered BEFORE I purshase either another Hi8 camcorder to replace the one (which is broken) that was used to record these original analog tapes, or venture into getting a newer Digital 8 camcorder such as the Sony TRV 460 which is supposed to be able to playback old analog Hi8 tapes?

The concern is that I have heard that the image quality is diminished when an analog tape is played through a digital 8 camera. And that it would be better to play it through an analog Hi8 camera to get the best quality image to input into the computer for editing and burning to DVD.

So what I'm trying to find out is: Does anybody know if this is true or not? As it would dictate what kind of camera or player to purchase for this archiving project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]