FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendation request...The basics w/quality

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LawrenceG
Recommendation request...The basics w/quality
on Jun 28, 2004 at 8:39:40 pm

I'm looking for recommendations.

Here's my application: I want to convert VHS tapes to DVDs and lightly edit them. All I need to do is basically cut and paste the converted clips, plus put together simple menus for the DVDs. I don't need to do any fancy editing, I don't need sophisticated special effects or convoluted menus--just the basics.

I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible, but I'm prepared to spend a reasonable amount to get a high-quality conversion.

I know there are budget capture cards and boxes (less than $150) that come in packages including editing and authoring software. They seem appealing, but from what I can tell, there are a lot of people who are not happy with the results, i.e., dropped frames, quality, etc.

I have been really impressed by what I've read about the Canopus ADVC100. People seem to rave about it's video codec and quality right out-of-the-box. It's more expensive, but apparently worth the price. Plus, for me it has the benefit of being external (so I can lend it to someone else or sell it easily). If I use it, the obvious question would be, what software do I use for editing and authoring? Again, I want something easy-to-use, but I don't need anything heavy-duty.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? Does the Canopus ADVC100 sound like the right solution for me?

Multiple perspectives are welcome. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]