FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canopus 300 vs 100 vs Pyro

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dig
Canopus 300 vs 100 vs Pyro
by
on Jan 12, 2004 at 12:52:56 pm

OK so no one, not even the video guy himself, answered my earlier post. Then suddenly videoguy puts up his top ten and there is the Canopus advc300.

So my question again, "Which is better, 300, 100 or the Pyro A/V link (which seems to have the same specs as the 300 for about $100 less)??"

My next question is "Why do we need all these other capture cards if I can capture any type of video from these inexpesive boxes and use any editing software I want?"

What does the capture card give us that these devices don't?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Canopus 300 vs 100 vs Pyro
on Jan 12, 2004 at 6:15:34 pm

The Pyro AV Link and ADVC100 are petty equal products. For use with our professional NLE apps i giv ethe nod to the ADVC. The Canopus DV CODEC is just fantastic. The ADVC300 adds the ability ot clean and restore older VHS footage. This is a very BIG feature if you are sitting on a pile of older VHS tapes that were shot over the years on a wide range of gear.

Real-Time hardware like the DV Storm or RTX100 add additional features to Premiere beyond just analog I/O. If all you want is to get analog into your computer, then the ADVC100 or 300 are a great choice.

BTW, sorry I messed your earlier post.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Dig
by
on Jan 13, 2004 at 5:11:58 am

Thanks for an answer. Are you saying that using a DV Storm or RTX card would provide more features then if I used the 300 and Premiere Pro or Edition?

If so how?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 13, 2004 at 1:45:06 pm

Lets keep the answer just to Premeire pro. The RTX.100 delivers a handful of additional real-time features that you will NOT get when using just an firewire card.

RTX100 makes Premeire Pro dramatically more powerful!
Videoguys Top 6 reasons to buy the RTX100 w/ Premeire Pro:

1- Analog & DV I/O RTX100 allows you to capture both analog & DV footage. A good DV/AV converter will cost you over $200 bucks

2 - Real-time analog, DV & MPEG2 output. Without the RTX100 hardware, Premeire Pro must render for output to tape. With the RTX100 you can playback directly from the timeline for final output. Even cooler, real-time MPEG2 output makes your DVD creation 2 or 3 times FASTER!

3 - Real-time color correction with TV output. Color correction needs a video monitor to get the best results. The Matrox color correction tool is very easy to use and the auto white balance is a great time saver.

4 - Matrox real-time 3D FX and filters. Matrox Flex 3D FX and filters are the envy of the industry. They deliver very high quality with superb keyframing tools. You can preview the FX while you are working with them on your external video monitor.

5 - The RTX100 single pass scan and capture A fantastic tool that goaesfar beyond batch capturing. On the fly your video is broken down into clips. unwanted clips can be deleted to free up disk space.

6 - For AE users the WYSIWYG video output is a very nice tool.

Liquid Edition is a diffferent editing software all together. I really like Edtion. You can read an in depth hands on review of it
http://www.videoguys.com/Edition5review.html

Gary

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Dig
by
on Jan 14, 2004 at 1:02:49 pm

Ok so now I have read about Edition and it seems that my thinking is correct. Let's forget about Premiere for a minute.
Here are some questions
1.) How do I get my video in (DV I assume thru IEEE but analog)?
2.) How do I preview in a NTSC Monitor

Now for a quick Premiere question.
I just captured some DV from my camera using the DV 48kHZ preset. When I try to play it in Media Player or Real they both say they cannot play it. If I render the file using the Microsoft DV AVI preset it plays ok, but that means I have to mess with the file twice.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks for your help in all of this.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 14, 2004 at 2:00:16 pm

For analog I/O and for NTSC previews, get Liquid Edition Pro. The Pro hardware is an AGP card that provides the DV & analog I/O. It also gives you real-time analog output for previewing ona TV or recording straight to tape.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]