FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware technical question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mr. Nick
Hardware technical question
on May 7, 2004 at 5:23:57 pm

Help!!

I have just started doing some video editing. I have noticed that durring the capture process some frames are dropped.
Does the bus speed effect something I connect through USB or Firewire? (i.e. if I am capturing video from a Firewire device and saving it on a USB 2.0 external HD ... will the FSB effect that?) Also... if Someone is looking for video editiing components, which is more important Bus speed or L2 cache? (involved in rendering & capturing)

If I were looking for a laptop to be a secondary editor, what should I get?
The new Pentium Dothan processor (2Mg L2 cache, but only a 400mhz FSB)
P4 3.2 w/HT (really fast, 800mhz FSB, but only 512 cache)

Help if you can
Mr. Nick

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Hardware technical question
by
on May 8, 2004 at 1:15:34 am

This probably doesn't help directly since I am not a technical guruu. But I am capturing with no dropped frames. The key for me was selection of the firewire board. I dropped frames with a Adaptec Duoconnect (USB 2.0 and Firewire on one board), but the problems went away with the installation of a ADS Pyro Firewire board. (I still have the Duoconnect installed for USB 2.0). My machine is a 1.3GHz Athalon with 133 FSB that I built 3 years ago.

So I don't think the problem is FSB speed.

Dylan

Return to posts index

D_
by
on May 11, 2004 at 2:37:41 pm

I have completed tests of my system and my USB external drive. My external drive was limited to about 9MB/s. The same disk plugged into the internal ATA connection reads about a max of 50 MB/s down to a min of about 25 MB/s. The processor overhead is not much different. Your results may vary.

Just for reference...
According to Adobe, an A/V drive should be capable of about 10MB/s. The USB 2.0 spec is capable of 480Mb/s or about 60MB/s. USB 1.1 maxes out at 12Mb/s or 1.5MB/s.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on May 12, 2004 at 12:45:55 am

could be a couple of things

1) Tweak your OS for NLE. http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html

2) Try moving the firewire card ot a different slot. Also we've found that some FireWire cards are just not as reliable as others. The ADS Pyro has been our top recommendation for almost 5 years now.

3) If you are on a Laptop, then you may be running into bus speed issues. Not much you can do about that other then get a new faster laptop.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]