FORUMS: list search recent posts

XP Upgrade.......now dropping frames

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shifter313
XP Upgrade.......now dropping frames
on Jan 11, 2004 at 6:51:40 pm

I just upgraded to Windows XP Professional. I now am trying to capture video from my DV camera but am dropping frames at an alarming rate. I have about 4 programs with DV capture capability and the only one working (of course) is Windows Movie Maker. I cannot make a film using that program. Is their any way that I can fix this problem?

Return to posts index

wdramey
Re: XP Upgrade.......now dropping frames
on Jan 19, 2004 at 12:49:00 am

Greetings,

It is often suggested that before you upgrade your OS, you save your data files then reformat the hard drive that the OS will reside. After you reformat the drive, reinstall the programs and any data files. I did this when I upgraded from an earlier version of Windows to XP Pro. I have not experienced any dropped frames. However, I have friends that did not, and they are experiencing dropped frames--more than others.

I know that this is not what you probably wanted to hear, but this is what I did and have had no problems. Perhaps there are other issues, such as needing to update your drivers for XP. Be sure that all drivers are updated.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 19, 2004 at 2:38:58 pm

1) Make sure Movie Maker has not taken over your DV port. Reboot the computer without the DV cam attached. Hook up the DV cam via FireWire. When WinXO finds the new hardware watch to see that it isn't automatically assigning MovieMaker to it. If it is, repeat the steps above and stop WinXp from assigning moviemaker to it

2) Re-install you favorite NLE program. Test it. If ti works, do NOT run moviemaker again. We've seent hat it will grab on and knock out other DV cam capture programs

3) You did not mention if you upgraded over your existing OS or did a clean install. We do NOT recommend upgrading over an exisitng OS. Always run a fresh install on a re-formatted drive or partition.

4) Follow the tips on our WinXP tweaks page http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html

Gary
Videoguys.com

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

mojohand
on Aug 27, 2004 at 2:03:07 am

Windows Movie Maker is evil. I used Advanced Uninstaller Pro to take it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]