FORUMS: list search recent posts

need software guidance

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
echoesdrummer
need software guidance
on Apr 30, 2004 at 9:07:05 pm

What a great site! I browsed through some topics to get some basic info, which helped, but I still have some specific questions to be answered.

Fisrt, of course I am a complete newb to video conversion and editing, so please structure your responses as though you were explaining them to a three year old, and I'll probably understand them alot better.

My gear-
Sony Digital 8 camcorder DCR-TRV350
Desktop PC w/ Pentium 4, 1.60 GHz, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video card
Sony Image Mixer software

I am trying to convert band tour footage shot on the TRV350 into MPEG video clips for posting on our website. I have had limited luck with the Image Mixer program that came with the camcorder. I am connecting the camera to the computer via the USB cable provided (sorry, no firewire port). I am able to capture the picture and sound, but the picture on the MPEG is real jumpy and about 1 second ahead of the audio track. I need a clean good resolution picture and the sound MUST be in sync.

I went through Image Mixer's telephone support, where we checked the connection, hardware req's and settings, with no improvement. Any suggestions on making this program work?

I noticed a few other programs mentioned on this forum, but no reference to Image Mixer. Is it a substandard program? Are there other edting suites (not too expensive) that would produce better results for my application? Which would you recommend?

Thanks to all in advance for any help you can offer.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: need software guidance
by
on May 1, 2004 at 10:53:14 am

Welcome echoesdrummer,

I would venture a guess and say that the problem is probably a conflict with software/hardware/IRQ with your USB port. What operating system are you using? What other programs are running simultaneously? Can you shut down other processes so that nothing else is running and then try it again? Any chance you can borrow aan OHCI firewire card. I suggest you eventually plan to buy and install one in your machine. I prefer the ADS Pyro 1394 Card. That alone may solve your problems.
As far as replacing the Pixela Image Mixing Software...
Here is a brief list of affordable software to get you started. You can download the packages to test them on your machine. Some require require WinXP.

<*>Arcsoft's ShowBiz $99

<*>CyberLink's Power Director 3 for $45.

<*>Ulead's Video Studio 7 $100.

<*>Pinnacle's Studio9 $99. Power Review

<*>Main Concept's EVE (Easy Video Editing) $69.

<*>Avid's Avid Free DV $Free$

<*> Windows Movie Maker $Free$

Let us know if you get it working.

Dylan

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on May 1, 2004 at 11:47:30 am

Suspect number one should be the "webcam mode" on your camcorder. What you describe is typical of poor Mpeg encoding. For better results, you will probably need to add a firewire port or use a computer with one. Also, what are your Mpeg settings and can you adjust them?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on May 1, 2004 at 1:06:40 pm

It occurred to me that you may already have the most suitable program for your needs- Windows Movie Maker. If you do not already have Windows Movie Maker 2, download it and see if it will recognize your camcorder as a webcam and will let you capture in one of Microsoft’s web-friendly codec’s. I would really to learn if this works or not.

Never tried it myself.

Return to posts index

bernie
on Jul 26, 2004 at 12:00:30 pm

hi
yup get a firewire port......i used movie maker too to send home clips.all was fine after i put in a firewire port

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]