FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 Editing help

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oldgoat2
MPEG2 Editing help
on Apr 26, 2004 at 5:18:32 pm

I am getting all my old movies transferred to DVDs in MPEG2 format. What is the best software to use to get this off the DVD onto my computer, break it up into the individual movie clips, edit them, and then create a new DVD (by creating a new MPEG2 I guess)? All suggestions appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: MPEG2 Editing help
on Apr 26, 2004 at 6:17:16 pm

How are you going to have the movies transferred to DVD's? Ulead's DVD MovieFactory3 can import and edit .vob files from non-commercial DVD's. I didn't much care for it in MF2, but it may have improved in MF3. I'm sure there are others with the same capability but I don't know of any.

A more straightforward approach would be to digitize the video on your computer and then edit and create the DVD's.

Return to posts index

oldgoat2
on Apr 26, 2004 at 6:34:37 pm

Some outfit in PA is transferring the movies to DVD. I asked them if I would be able to edit them and they replied that the files on the DVDs would be MPEG2 format and that people can edit them. Is that what a .vob is? They are also going to give me a videotape too but I was assuming that editing the file from the DVD would give better quality instead capturing the video from the VHS tape and then editing that. Could I get the .vob and then convert it to some other format that I can edit easier?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Apr 26, 2004 at 10:07:10 pm

When you “author” a DVD (at least, on a home computer), the final format for the video is in “VOB” files contained in a “Video_TS” folder on the disk (or your hard drive if you want). I think they are still Mpeg 2 files, but most editing programs cannot edit them. Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 is the only common commercial program I know of that can edit .vob files. I am trying a test project now and it works, but it is not something I would want to do a lot of.

I understand that there is a way to simply change the “.vob” to “.mpg” (the file extension for Mpeg) so that it can be edited, but I am not familiar with the procedure.

Return to posts index

billd2thdr
on May 23, 2004 at 4:47:46 pm

Do I understand correctly? You cannot capture video froma DVD with most video editing programs? I also was thinking of copying my home movies to DVD to make future video projects easier since it's easier to manipulate DVDs than VHS tapes, but if I can't use the DVD to add clips to the project then I'll be dissappointed.
Bill Greenberg

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on May 24, 2004 at 11:21:39 am

I don't own a set top DVD recorder, so I cannot say for a fact, but it is my understanding that they work the same way as DVD's authored on computers. If so, then the video is captured as Mpeg-2 files, which are then converted to a format a PC sees as ".vob" files. Ulead makes the only products I know of that can edit .vob files. I have tried it on DVD MovieFactory 3 and it works for my home-made DVD-R's. There is also something called "DVD-VR/+VR", which I know nothing about.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/features.htm

The above is a link to the Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 page. They say you can do what you want to do. Other than some people who have had problems with AC-3 audio, I haven't seen many complaints about the product on the Ulead forum. Still, you should download a trial copy and try it before you buy it.

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 25, 2004 at 3:00:13 am

You might want to check out DVDRhelp for some hints on how to extract audio and video files directly from the VOB files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]