FORUMS: list search recent posts

Starting Out....

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince
Starting Out....
on Apr 26, 2004 at 5:05:52 am

Hi,

A friend and I are thinking seriously about starting out a small Video Editing business in our area. Neither one of us are experianced in this field, but have the time and some resources to begin.

Realizing our inexperiance, we would like to start out small, but with a basic pro system that can be expanded as we learn and grow. We are not interested in the home or amatuer field but a professional one.

We have done some research on your wonderful site and some others. We have already decided on our software package which will be Uleads Media Pro 7.0. To that end we know we need to figure out a basic system to start with, but which is expandable.

At this time we do not intend to take our own digital photos, but rather to offer movie making services to clients. Some things we have seen and like are like 60-80 still images sequenced on a VHS tape looking back on ones life, birthdays, weddings and the like. We would like to be able to eidit either still images or video images, eventually expanding as we learn into taking our own images.

We have some questions up front which we need help with:

1. We have a brand new, but low end computer system, but don't know if it will be able to run all the necessary things as in your article. Right now we have a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP Home Edition. It has a 2.40 Gig Intel Cleron, with 8 kb primary cache, and 128 kb secondary memory cache. Hard drive is 36.57 Gig, with 256 mgb memory.

Realizing this is a Desktop PC rather than a workstation we wonder if it worthwhile or for that matter feasable to try and upgrade this computer to do DV work.

2. We do not have a realiable VCR machine at this time, and are a bit confused as to what exactly we would need? We know you can burn a DVD on the computer, but what kind of a machine would we need to burn to vhs or other formats we are not familiar with.

3. We also need to upgrade our scanner for scanning images. Any advice on one?

For review, we are two inexperianced people wanting to get into the DV editing business and need some help and advice ont he right equipment from a PC workstation, to the proper VHS/DVD or toehr necessary equipment to set up a professional but basic setup, expandable to future technology.

Any advice or help is appreciated. ;)

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Starting Out....
by
on Apr 26, 2004 at 9:15:18 am

Good Luck on your endeavor!

I recommend downloading a trial version of MSP 7.0 before you put your money down. MSP 7.0 is an extremely powerful piece of software that works great for video! However, if you plan on starting off with still images to video, you may find MSP limiting in a few areas.

1. There is no quick way to take a lot of images and make an automatic slide show. You can do it, but it takes a bit of manual effort.

2. You cannot adjust the speed of zooms and pans the way you can with Premeire. You can only add key frames and change the speed at that key frame. For a smooth zoom that progressively changes speed, you will have to do some manual entries (multiple key frames).

3. There is only a timeline view. This is great for video, but for making slide shows, it is nice to have a story board display.

There are other programs out there, and you have started by asking questions here (and I'm sure other forums as well) and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Regarding your choice of computer, DV output (DVD or to a DV recording device--video camera etc.) is demanding, but your system should be able to handle it with the addition of an appropriate IEEE 1394 card.

For VHS, it sounds like you will be creating individual tapes and not multiple VHS tapes, as a result, you will only need one high quality VHS recorder.

If you are planning to output to VHS directly, you will need an analog output capability. This is what stresses the computer system more than any other component. Select the card of your choice, and then review their system recommendations. If you system is on the list you should have no problems. If it is not, you can buy the product and give it a try.

If you have the resources, I recommend getting a machine dedicated to video, built by a video professional outfit, with a warranty and use the desktop you have to check your business e-mail from your satisfied customers! This will save you future headaches as you will have enough of those just getting your business on the road!

I am not a professional, but play one on my home videos. In any case, I hope that my suggestions will in some way point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]